Nitrite and ammonia spike

Luckki

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds to me like they are doing better. I pray that they are safe. It is odd that they were affected by a water change though.

OP
OP
C

CamoFan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds to me like they are doing better. I pray that they are safe. It is odd that they were affected by a water change though.
They are. The wrasse likes to hang out by the HOB (top left corner) for a little bit then swim around. He should be asleep in the sand but he’s not so I’m worried about him.

I told my fiancee if she sees anything wrong to wake me up so I can address it. Fish breathing hard, laying on the sand, etc. I’ll sacrifice some sleep to make sure that my tank survives. I may head back out in a few hours to check on them.

OP
OP
C

CamoFan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Went out to check again. Anemone is closed at this time and the clowns want to be in it. Seems like the tank settled down for the night.

Wrasse is hidden under a rock but is visible. Seems to be breathing a little fast and possibly asleep. Chromis is out and the Midas blenny is in his hole and breathing fast. God I’m scared. Watchmen goby is still out and seems like he’s breathing well. Still no sign of the dottyback or pink striped goby.

We’ll see what happens in the morning. Wish me luck.

OP
OP
C

CamoFan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Checked again, I’m anxious. Pink barred goby and the dottyback are alive and shacked up together. Dottyback is breathing slow and hard but he’s alive.

I’m feeling a little bit better that they’ll make it through the night. The wrasse moved and can’t see him anymore, probably dug into the sand.

I’ll do another water change in the mornin with some salt since salinity dropped to around 1.023 - .024. Should I leave it there or raise it up?

Luckki

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you are doing your water changes are you matching the mixed water temp to the tank, too? if not they should be at or really close to the stocked tank's temp. If the temp is not the same and you mix it and you do not have a decent refractometer that adjusts for temp changes then you could be swinging the salinity all over the place. which might induce stress. I would say that you should be fine at 34 ppt to 36 ppt. Ideally if you do not have an ATO then you should be at 34 ppt since you will have to do manual top offs that way as you have an evaporation buffer. If you have an ATO then it should be rock steady at 1.026 or 35 ppt or 1.025 or 34ppt.

OP
OP
C

CamoFan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No ATO but I was looking at getting one setup as a local reefer had a Tunze sensor but was missing the magnetic back plate. One he finds that I’ll be snagging it.

I do match the temp. Since my tank sits at 79.5F (Hanna salinity tester temp) I can get my fresh water pretty close to that temp out the tap.

OP
OP
C

CamoFan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am extremely delighted to report that the remaining fish were saved. I am sad that I lost the blue devil damsel but I will take 1 loss over many.

I have absolutely zero idea what caused this emergency as it was solved with 15 gallons of water changed. I did not deviate from my standard water change practices. I will be looking at how to connect an RODI unit to my shower head water connection in order to actually have RODI.

Thank you to everyone who responded to my emergency last night. My sleep was short and I will have a rough day at work but I will take it to make sure the tank lives.

Luckki

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am extremely delighted to report that the remaining fish were saved. I am sad that I lost the blue devil damsel but I will take 1 loss over many.

I have absolutely zero idea what caused this emergency as it was solved with 15 gallons of water changed. I did not deviate from my standard water change practices. I will be looking at how to connect an RODI unit to my shower head water connection in order to actually have RODI.

Thank you to everyone who responded to my emergency last night. My sleep was short and I will have a rough day at work but I will take it to make sure the tank lives.
That is good to hear, now that your tank is safe I am sure you will find the rest you need. Just a thought did you when you did your first water change touch anything that might have hade a chemical residue left on it. For example just had dinner and you cleaned up the counters or stove top, washed your hands with soap, or took a shower?

OP
OP
C

CamoFan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is good to hear, now that your tank is safe I am sure you will find the rest you need. Just a thought did you when you did your first water change touch anything that might have hade a chemical residue left on it. For example just had dinner and you cleaned up the counters or stove top, washed your hands with soap, or took a shower?
I don’t think so, however, I wouldn’t rule that out. I did shower around 12 noon and did the water change around 2-3pm. Could that have been it? Maybe I didn’t use enough seachem prime or forgot to dose a bucket. I know my local water has a ton of chloramine/chlorine because I can smell it as it degasses off the water in the bucket.

I fed them this morning before leaving for work with PE Mysis shrimp and they went nuts for it. Everyone got some food and looked good. I’ll ask my fiancee for an update shortly.

Luckki

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say it might have been, I know that some people are pretty diligent about making sure that they wash their hands and then they rinse very well with distilled or RODI water. I was reading ( I'm not sure the thread anymore) about a method where you wash your hands and then rinse with water, then rinse with white vinegar, then rinse with RODI water. To me that sounds a bit over kill unless I was working with cleaners or something. regardless I am really glad that the tank is doing well and all the other fish survived. Best of luck with the tank bud.

OP
OP
C

CamoFan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say it might have been, I know that some people are pretty diligent about making sure that they wash their hands and then they rinse very well with distilled or RODI water. I was reading ( I'm not sure the thread anymore) about a method where you wash your hands and then rinse with water, then rinse with white vinegar, then rinse with RODI water. To me that sounds a bit over kill unless I was working with cleaners or something. regardless I am really glad that the tank is doing well and all the other fish survived. Best of luck with the tank bud.
I feel like my tank is in a significantly better position. I got home today and everyone was out and about. My once shy Midas blenny is now an avid current surfer where before he’d stay in his rock. It was scary when it happened but now I’m purely relieved.

OP
OP
C

CamoFan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Figured out what it was. It’s seachem clarity. Added it about 30 minutes ago since I moved rockwork around and everyone is doing the exact same thing.

Luckki

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is usually on the bottom or the lid some times on the label I do not own a bottle so I cannot help there sorry. I am going to check to see if it is a shelf stable product if it is it would most likely not have an expiration date.

OP
OP
C

CamoFan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got off the phone with Seachem. Clarity is any oxygen reducer. Which would explain the shallow and hard breathing. This isn’t labeled on the bottle and hopefully after the call I made, we could see that on the label.

Seachem is also shelf stable with no expiration date.

I was able to save the tank again after about 35GAL of water and increased surface agitation.

Luckki

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did not hit the send button yesterday and I am sorry, this is what I typed.

It seems to be self stable; however, the FAQs do list some good points. One being that you should add more fine filter floss to your media, and you might have to change it out to keep it from getting clogged.

Clarity™ can be added every 24 hours as needed, however, if your water has not cleared you may not have adequate mechanical filtration. We recommend using filter floss (poly-fil) in your filter when adding Clarity, as this is a very fine mechanical filter that will remove the undissolved particulates. It is completely normal for the water to become more cloudy on the addition of Clarity, as it is a flocculating agent that will clump together the particulates, making larger particulates that are easily filtered out with the filter floss. Keep in mind that you may have to change out the floss a couple of times during the treatment, as it may get clogged or saturated.”

It might also be lowering your pH. I am not sure but it almost seems like an air stone might help with oxygen levels during treatments. Maybe someone else might know about that? I know that micro bubbles can be bad for some corals and sponges, so I would be careful if you have those in the future. Another thought is that you could point your power head or return toward the surface during treatment. To help with agitation.

Last edited:

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would cease using that product immediately. Here is a well vetted alternative:

OP
OP
C

CamoFan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would cease using that product immediately. Here is a well vetted alternative:

I’ve actually read that thread! I’ll have to try this out now after this experience.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 39 16.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 14 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 141 58.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 17 7.0%
Back