Nitrite and ammonia spike

CamoFan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did a 10gal water change today on my 75 and everyone is breathing hard and is lethargic. Tested water and here are the parameters.

pH: 8.3
Salinity: 1.027-.028
Temp: 78F
Nitrate: 7.6ppm
Nitrite: .25ppm
Ammonia: .25ppm
Phosphate: .15
DKH: 14

I’m already starting a water change since the ammonia and nitrite spiked. 5GAL of conditioner and buffered freshwater right now. Will monitor an hour after and see how everyone is doing.

Teri NewbieReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get some ammonia remover in the tank and do that water change. Test your new water before it goes in the tank - make sure that the new water isn't the problem. Keep monitoring, and Good Luck.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Water change should not spike ammonia.

the salinity looks high, you might want that RODI(?) water for dilution?

If you are using API for ammonia, nitrite, stop everything those tests are known for difficulty in getting real readings.

Gotta fly myself, good luck.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We aren't worried about the nitrite and an ammonia spike would be surprising if nothing died. You are using conditioned tap water? Do you have a sandbed that was disturbed during the water change? Any inverts present and affected?

OP
OP
C

CamoFan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Water change should not spike ammonia.

the salinity looks high, you might want that RODI(?) water for dilution?

If you are using API for ammonia, nitrite, stop everything those tests are known for difficulty in getting real readings.

Gotta fly myself, good luck.
Nitrite and ammonia were done with API. Everything else was done by Hanna

Luckki

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did a 10gal water change today on my 75 and everyone is breathing hard and is lethargic. Tested water and here are the parameters.

I’m already starting a water change since the ammonia and nitrite spiked. 5GAL of conditioner and buffered freshwater right now. Will monitor an hour after and see how everyone is doing.
Serious question, why are you keeping your salinity at 36 to 37 ppm? also did you add new fish recently or did something die off?

OP
OP
C

CamoFan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We aren't worried about the nitrite and an ammonia spike would be surprising if nothing died. You are using conditioned tap water? Do you have a sandbed that was disturbed during the water change? Any inverts present and affected?
Yes, conditioned tap water. And no, I didn’t disturb the sandbed. My apartment will not allow an install of an RODI unit without a plumber coming out to make the install. Inverts are present but they seem unaffected.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

This is where water changes to control ammonia is tricky. A 10 gallon change on a 75 gallon tank is 13%. That will only reduce the ammonia by 13%, so .25 to .22, hardly any drop at all. Meanwhile, the ammonia is still building up. I’ve seen people do 25% water changes and actually see the ammonia rise overnight!
The best way to control ammonia is by transplanting bacteria from a properly operating tank. The next best way is to use Amquel to neutralize it.
For what it’s worth - with marine fish, nitrite isn’t toxic, just ammonia. The higher the pH, the more toxic it is.
Jay

OP
OP
C

CamoFan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Serious question, why are you keeping your salinity at 36 to 37 ppm? also did you add new fish recently or did something die off?
I’m using Red Sea coral pro salt (black bucket) and I think it comes out to around 1.026 - .028 when mixed. Nothing has died to my knowledge. I added 1 fish within the last 4 days.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the inverts are not affected that typically rules out water quality issues. API Ammonia false .25 reading is very common. You added a fish recently, that is your culprit. Any other symptoms other than breathing heavy/lethargic?

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should be targeting 1.026/35ppt salinity. Manufacturer recipe is a guidelines. You should be checking salinity yourself and adjusting to desired level.

OP
OP
C

CamoFan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the inverts are not affected that typically rules out water quality issues. API Ammonia false .25 reading is very common. You added a fish recently, that is your culprit. Any other symptoms other than breathing heavy/lethargic?
No other symptoms. Everyone was perfectly fine before and during the water change. Anemone is open.

OP
OP
C

CamoFan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should be targeting 1.026/35ppt salinity. Manufacturer recipe is a guidelines. You should be checking salinity yourself and adjusting to desired level.
Roger. The 5GAL change lowered me to 1.026. I’m watching them with bated breath, this isn’t their usual nighttime routine.

FUNGI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, conditioned tap water. And no, I didn’t disturb the sandbed. My apartment will not allow an install of an RODI unit without a plumber coming out to make the install. Inverts are present but they seem unaffected.
Buy one that attaches to a faucet....no install needed.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Roger. The 5GAL change lowered me to 1.026. I’m watching them with bated breath, this isn’t their usual nighttime routine.
Are you certain that the lethargy started after the water change and not before it?
Jay

Luckki

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
any corals or sponges that may be releasing toxins? zoas damaged by chance.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 14 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 138 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 17 7.2%
Back