Nitrite increase help

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
api is good about overreporting conversion rates

it would make sense the nitrite conversion rate had to increase, new bioload, maybe the kit overreports that like its known to do with ammonia. in other posts, people had used Prime water conditioner to save things, and that additive alone caused the false nitrite there are many confounds available too that simply mask results. in the end we just like not factoring it

*for true fun here, we gotta see the api ammonia. prediction, not hard yellow, houston a .25 is coming down :) ?

we will know stated nitrite, soon to see ammonia, once we get a full tank picture the biology shown in that picture will be opposite of the test reads...this is why we became test cynics lol

any reef not controlling ammonia will be mid crash, and those pics will show it in addition to the test kits.

we are conditioned and taught by bottle bac sellers to buy things for this condition, it’s a false condition. Buy nothing add nothing just post tank pics

Last edited:

Fish_Sticks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How many gallons, and how many lbs of live rock? Might consider adding some more dry rock so you can feed the bacteria with those nitrites.

StephenMcn

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello so after 3 months I have added fish and coral to my tank since cycle was completed. Issue now is that everything is looking great except fact that my nitrite is increasing and now to 0.5ppm-1ppm and I’ve tried adding tims one and only nitrifying bacteria (twice), more biofiltration, and performed one 10% water change. What should I do and why is this happening?
Not sure if its available where you live but I would use seachem prime. It doesn't get rid of the nitrites but it binds them together so as there not as abundant in the tank and gives good bacteria the time to catch up to bioload. Don't think it can be overdosed either (don't quote me)

OP
OP
lazerben

lazerben

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
nitrites have zero bearing in reefing now, they're neutralized, not used any more.

and, your test is misreading. literally all invented bacterial shortcomings are made to give context to test misreads.

if this is a hanna nitrite $ digital checker, Im all ears
I got all the color meters except nitrite and ammonia if there is a ammonia but I use the full test kit that comes in that box tub. It increased from .25 to .5 in a week

OP
OP
lazerben

lazerben

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you everyone! I love this site people really help others in the hobby I’m new and I went balls to the wall so much my LFS knows me for coming in 4 times a week lol. But thank you all and yea I just added my first fish and coral 2 weeks ago so I think most of you are right.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
they would indeed not last past 24 hours in an uncycled tank, that they’re alive weeks is how we know the cycle is locked in place, even if you make stocking changes to the system + or - new fish won’t matter

can you post a pic of the aquarium showing animals in place

our entire hobby is built on what these testers say. To go against them is new and not common, so the recommendations to wait and make them pass are fully safe offers.

I became fascinated by reef cycles over the mere clash between reef convention cycles which never stall to meet a start date for twenty years / sell to us

vs forum cycles which on any forum, everyday, can not make any predicted start date.
these two opposite lots are using opposite measures to know when to start a reef

when forum cyclers try and comment on convention cycles claiming they're weak or expiring/short term cycles, that’s fully not the case, which is why forum posters are buyers and convention cycle controllers are the sellers.

I want to find the truth between the two very opposing systems: when is the universally allowed start time for a reef tank

if the true allowed start date is zero nitrite, can make api ammonia say hard yellow zero, move 2ppm down to yellow zero in 24 hours, still have blue zero api nitrite after moving down 2 ppm, and then some degree of nitrate required on the kit, then no reef convention could ever begin it takes a month variable workup to get 3x param compliance.

The rules forum cyclers use are the buyers rules strictly. The weaker we think filter bacteria are, the more we need product

Last edited:

Sebastiancrab

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure if its available where you live but I would use seachem prime. It doesn't get rid of the nitrites but it binds them together so as there not as abundant in the tank and gives good bacteria the time to catch up to bioload. Don't think it can be overdosed either (don't quote me)
+1 on having the Seachem Prime added to your tank asap. It won't hurt to use it as a safety precaution to protect your fish. Give your tank more time before you add anything else above all!

Back