Nitrites wont come down

kay2443

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Week 5 or 6 of cycling a 10 gal. My ammonia is 0 now since I did a 20 percent water change on week 4 my nitrites are at 1ppm and won't go down my nitrates are ranging from 0-20 ppm.
Maybe I need a new test kit but I went to have the water tested and I had high nitrites and decent nitrates... I have a small bottle Dr Tim's but was skeptical about using it. help please !!

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
nitrites no longer factor in display tank reefing, or reef cycling. I recommend never owning the kit at all and never testing for them in any display reef tank, because it always leads to doubt + a purchase of something we don't need.

the thing to concern over for a cycling reef tank is disease preps. when old cycling science/macna speakers from the podium/told thousands of reefers that nitrite can stall a cycle, when it does not, we had no way to verify that information

so glad the reef chemistry forum here isn't trying to sell things :)

nitrite has no basis for need to measure in a display tank reef from day 1 to the last day the reef holds water. we just eased all your concern :)

your cycle was done a long time ago

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
where nitrites matter, per the chemistry forum here

-freshwater setups

-low salinity hypo setups used for reefs, but not display reefs

an interesting side note about nitrite testing, when it is required: API constitutes about 99.999% of all nitrite measures for aquariums.

anyone here knows how reliable API is for ammonia, nitrate, all the normal preps. but since API has the market cornered on nitrite measurement, we automatically shift from doubt into 100% belief that api is right.

your own test could be a misread, and nitrite may be in control lol though we don't care to verify that.

hanna nitrite might be a neat way to truly measure it, in systems that require that measure.

OP
OP
K

kay2443

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
nitrites no longer factor in display tank reefing, or reef cycling. I recommend never owning the kit at all and never testing for them in any display reef tank, because it always leads to doubt + a purchase of something we don't need.

the thing to concern over for a cycling reef tank is disease preps. when old cycling science/macna speakers from the podium/told thousands of reefers that nitrite can stall a cycle, when it does not, we had no way to verify that information

nitrite has no basis for need to measure in a display tank reef from day 1 to the last day the reef holds water. we just eased all your concern :)

So your telling Mr I can put a fish in there and ir won't die?

OP
OP
K

kay2443

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

So ican put livestock in there and they won't die?

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed fully

If it dies it'll be from skipping all disease preps, or bag float acclimation, but not due to nitrite

Is this your first reef/ saltwater setup or you've had them before?

Let's see a pic of the tank real quick if possible/ assesses surface area By that pic. We already have your reported ammonia drop, that was key in the matter.

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So your telling Mr I can put a fish in there and ir won't die?
Depending how you cycled it and if you have live rock… if you have live rock you should be good to go.. don’t get crazy stocking fast as the bio load will adjust itself.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kay

Post a pic of your tank

Is this your first sw fish or you've had them before

OP
OP
K

kay2443

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed fully

If it dies it'll be from skipping all disease preps, or bag float acclimation, but not due to nitrite

Is this your first reef/ saltwater setup or you've had them before?

Let's see a pic of the tank real quick if possible/ assesses surface area By that pic. We already have your reported ammonia drop, that was key in the matter.
I've had them before which is why I'm so confused
20230111_135504.jpg

OP
OP
K

kay2443

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you dose ammonia or feed the tank to cycle it? If yes I’d say you’re good to go with fish.. couple small clowns etc.. corals I would start slow with easy ones first.
Fed it food for a few days

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice, that'll work

Understandable confusion! Last time you waited until nitrites were zero, no harm in doing that

What we're realizing now is that nitrites never were a factor, only ammonia control, and that disease preps is the vastly top killer of today's reef fish. Never the cycle...

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are approaching two months wet, that's cycled. It's not possible to be uncycled at month two even if you tested nothing. That ghost feed method works in about 15 days total

That's plenty of surface area to carry any bioload in nano reefing, all set
Cycle done.

OP
OP
K

kay2443

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice, that'll work

Understandable confusion! Last time you waited until nitrites were zero, no harm in doing that

What we're realizing now is that nitrites never were a factor, only ammonia control, and that disease preps is the vastly top killer of today's reef fish. Never the cycle...
Never heard of "disease prep"

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back