Nitrites....

buzz579

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So.... Nearly a week into putting my new additions into the tank and was told by my LFS that I should expect to see an ammonia spike..... I haven't..... It's been reading 0 ammonia all week.

However, my Nitrites are still quite high. Not seen them drop below 1.

All other parameters seem to be fine and the fish/CUC are doing good. No signs of distress, feeding well and the water is still crystal clear.

Any ideas on what is going on or is it just a time thing to allow the nitrites to drop?

I don't know if a water change is needed yet? (I did a couple of water changes a few weeks back and was told to stop as I was doing them too early with no livestock in the tank!)

Any help appreciated

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So.... Nearly a week into putting my new additions into the tank and was told by my LFS that I should expect to see an ammonia spike..... I haven't..... It's been reading 0 ammonia all week.

However, my Nitrites are still quite high. Not seen them drop below 1.

All other parameters seem to be fine and the fish/CUC are doing good. No signs of distress, feeding well and the water is still crystal clear.

Any ideas on what is going on or is it just a time thing to allow the nitrites to drop?

I don't know if a water change is needed yet? (I did a couple of water changes a few weeks back and was told to stop as I was doing them too early with no livestock in the tank!)

Any help appreciated
It’s a time thing.

Everything on the reef uses ammonia. Nitrification bacteria double in density every 20 minute, thereby converting NH4 to Nitrite then to a nitrate.

@buzz579
What does nitrate measure in ppm.

Denitrification bacteria require 16 hours to double in population. They must break apart NO4 to consume oxygen and free a nitrogen gas molecule. That takes a lot of energy, thus slow population growth.

Last edited:

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm surprised your LFS told you that, I mean, how many fish did you add at once? What size tank? Are they the first fish you added to the tank? How long did the tank cycle? What is your nitrate level?

Normally we add new animals so slowly that there should not be any thought of an ammonia spike.

OP
OP
buzz579

buzz579

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last time I read Nitrates was a couple of days ago and it was 20ppm....

I have only added 1 strawberry pygmy basslet, a turbo snail and a nassarius snail.

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last time I read Nitrates was a couple of days ago and it was 20ppm....

I have only added 1 strawberry pygmy basslet, a turbo snail and a nassarius snail.
I agree with your LFS. Also 20ppm of nitrate is not high for a tank startup. I run higher with softies & sponges.

image.jpg

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just time.
Some sources of nitrifying bacteria - ammonia oxidizers (ammonia -> NO2 ) don't also oxidize nitrite (NO2 -> NO3). So NO2 can hang around a long time. Also often, it can go quite high and take a long time before it's low enough that a NO2 kit can show it decreasing.
Not that we care much about nitrite - it won't hurt anything, but that's your answer. Nothing's actually wrong, it can just be slow.

OP
OP
buzz579

buzz579

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just time.
Some sources of nitrifying bacteria - ammonia oxidizers (ammonia -> NO2 ) don't also oxidize nitrite (NO2 -> NO3). So NO2 can hang around a long time. Also often, it can go quite high and take a long time before it's low enough that a NO2 kit can show it decreasing.
Not that we care much about nitrite - it won't hurt anything, but that's your answer. Nothing's actually wrong, it can just be slow.
Thanks so much for your reply

SunnyWilson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No ammonia spike could indicate the tank's beneficial bacteria are handling the load well. High nitrites may need more time, but monitor water quality and consider a water change if necessary.

SunnyWilson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No ammonia spike could indicate the tank's beneficial bacteria are handling the load well. High nitrites may need more time, but monitor water quality and consider a water change if necessary.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 6 6.7%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 4.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 5.6%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 70 77.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 5.6%
Back