No flow from external pump

smallcrpt

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good afternoon, I'm having trouble with a Blue Line 70HD external pump. I went down to mix water and it makes all the right noises but no flow. It's lower than the brute cans, so I can imagine it's not naturally priming.
I took it apart and cleaned around the end with a little calcification but no salt damage. The impeller spins freely and when I turned it on without the housing it spins normally. When it's reinstalled I'm getting now flow. Is there anything else I can attempt? I only use it for mixing saltwater and pumping upstairs to the DT for WC.
thanks Chris

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe a dumb question but have you checked your valves to make sure they are open and for any failures?
Can you disconnect the inlet at the pump and have water flowing from your mixing barrels?
Can you disconnect the outlet and turn on the pump to see if it pushes water?

If you can confirm those then you can deduce it may be from headpressure or a closed/failed valve.

Any photos of your station and pipe run to the point of use?

OP
OP
smallcrpt

smallcrpt

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll be home in an hour and try a few of your suggestions. The valves are only 5 months old and feel like they're opening and closing, but I'll def pop off the union and check it out. Appreciate it
Maybe a dumb question but have you checked your valves to make sure they are open and for any failures?
Can you disconnect the inlet at the pump and have water flowing from your mixing barrels?

If you can confirm those then you can deduce it may be from headpressure or a closed/failed valve.

Attachments

• received_3022714741357821.jpeg
    received_3022714741357821.jpeg
    114.3 KB · Views: 27
OP
OP
smallcrpt

smallcrpt

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

So it's not a valve. There's some flow coming out of the discharge but not a lot. Going to take it apart again and see. There's basically no head pressure. Something is wonky

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So it's not a valve. There's some flow coming out of the discharge but not a lot. Going to take it apart again and see. There's basically no head pressure. Something is wonky
Sounds like the pump then.

I cant really deduce your plumbing where it ends. I would assume upstairs?

Is it new and possibly under warranty?

OP
OP
smallcrpt

smallcrpt

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No I got it used, so confusing. With no housing attached if I hold the impeller, it actually has resistance, it won't turn but it dims the lights as it fights the resistance.
But with water supplied, the fan is spinning, the impeller is spinning, but very little water movement with only foot of head. I'm at a loss

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There’s not really much that can go wrong with these pumps. I’ve used many of them over long periods of time and had just one die on me. I’d take it apart completely. Does the cylindrical magnet inside the yellow housing spin when power is applied? It’s possible the motor is shot which means the pump is toast. Does the impeller spin freely inside the black cup thingee? Does the impeller magnet show any physical damage or swelling? Any obstructions in either end of the volute?

PanWorld 200/Blueline 70 is a LOT of pump for a mixing station. Have you checked the suction side plumbing to make sure there are no majors constrictions. You can put lots of head on the output, but they don’t like restriction on the input.

Last edited:
OP
OP
smallcrpt

smallcrpt

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There’s not really much that can go wrong with these pumps. I’ve used many of them over long periods of time and had just one die on me. I’d take it apart completely. Does the cylindrical magnet inside the yellow housing spin when power is applied? It’s possible the motor is shot which means the pump is toast. Does the impeller spin freely inside the black cup thingee? Does the impeller magnet show any physical damage or swelling? Any obstructions in either end of the volute?

PanWorld 200/Blueline 70 is a LOT of pump for a mixing station. Have you checked the suction side plumbing to make sure there are no majors constrictions. You can put lots of head on the output, but they don’t like restriction on the input.
yeah I got it used a year ago for cheap. It's def overkill but only runs to mix or to pump upstairs.
all the parts move correctly. When the housing is off it sounds and spins freely when plugged in. If I hold the impeller it move but the lights dim, so it's trying to move. I see absolutely nothing wrong.
there's flow on both the inlet and outlet. So confusing

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back