No Nitrates

FowetsDaReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick question .
I started a reef tank 25 days ago with LIVE ROCK from the ocean KP Aquatics Florida , rocks & Bio Media From Tank Established for 5 years doing EXTEREMLY GREAT growing acropora like crazy .

I put fish in from day 1 my fish have been perfectly fine since day 1 .

I obviously think that would cycle my tank instantly .
Which I’m assuming I did .
But I still have yet to read any king of nitrates I’ve test 3 different test and I get 0

But phos is 0.06ppm

Tank is only 25 days old should I just keep waiting on nitrates or should I dose them I haven’t changed socks in 2 weeks to make sure my tank is getting dirty but it’s clean asf .

I just don’t want DINOS at all

Maybe to early for nitrates because I added so much bio media to get as much biodiversity as possible !

0DF743C0-4C93-4098-8E8C-B955B0C7A230.jpeg

HankstankXXL750

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Nitrates will come from the bio process of breaking down ammonia. 0 seems low. Having a “cycled” tank because of all the rich and bio from a friend would say that the ammonia is being converted. Have you tested for ammonia? And if so what reading?

Do you have any corals? If not there isn’t any need to dose. The nitrates should come with time. However you could have the proper bacteria to consume nitrates in the live rock. So if you don’t hat detectible nitrates you may have to provide them for corals.

OP
OP
F

FowetsDaReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nitrates will come from the bio process of breaking down ammonia. 0 seems low. Having a “cycled” tank because of all the rich and bio from a friend would say that the ammonia is being converted. Have you tested for ammonia? And if so what reading?

Do you have any corals? If not there isn’t any need to dose. The nitrates should come with time. However you could have the proper bacteria to consume nitrates in the live rock. So if you don’t hat detectible nitrates you may have to provide them for corals.
No corals just fish .
ammonia is 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 0

fish have been in since day 1 no WC
Loads and loads of live rock in sump

HankstankXXL750

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I would say that the tank is fully cycled. Lack of nitrates seems off. Really only two things that I can think of, you are not feeding enough or have enough fish to create enough ammonia to convert, or your rock is so well established that I is converting the nitrates to nitrogen gas and keeping you clean.

I am in no way an expert in the Dino world, but and this is only a guess, with all the biodiversity you brought into your tank, you might avoid a Dino issue, as some report that adding different bacteria helps them.

I started with dry, and even old dry rock, so I had the opposite problem and have to control my nitrates vs adding. I also heavily stock my tanks and feed well.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back