No polyp extension!

bigsink

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I suffer from high nitrates. About 10 days ago, I added a sulfur biodenitrator. Nitrates have gone from 50 to under 25 thankfully. Test done using Salifert kits. However, SPS polyp extension has ceased to exist. LPS are doing better than ever. Clams are doing great too. All other parameters are good.

Salinity 1.025
pH 8.3-8.6
Alk 9.9
Ca-400
Mg-1270
Phos is low, was checked on Calorimeter, .011(do not know units)

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Dave2

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nitrates could be the issue still, but I would also keep a close eye on fish picking at the polyps. See if they come out at night and you can rule out the fish. Make sure the sps are in strong(but indirect), random water flow for best PE too.

OP
OP
bigsink

bigsink

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Polyp extension was perfect until I added the reactor. Polyp extension was fine when the nitrates were at their maximum. I am suspecting nitrate shock from the drop? Is this possible? Flow is great. 2 Tunze 6100 on a 7095 and a vortech on reefcresat mode.

Dave2

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am suspecting nitrate shock from the drop? Is this possible?

It is possible, if it happened just after you added the sulfur biodenitrator, I would go ahead and assume something to do with that. I am not too familiar with that product, maybe someone else can step in with their experiences with it.

Dave

OP
OP
bigsink

bigsink

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since posting, one of my mille has started extending polyps again and the other has not. Sometimes they look better and sometimes they do not. It has also been suggested that a fish could be nipping. I plan on removing my Bellus angels to see if they are the culprits.

reefboy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have always been a big believer in that corals adapt to there environments and thats why we can keep allot in substandard conditions to what there use to so I would assume if they had PE before the addition of Nitrate filter then the sudden drop is what is affecting them and after they acclimate to this they will probably be better then ever.

Werdlone

what?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with reefboy, I think it is just the rapid change in water conditions. Give them some time in a stable environment and you should get your PE back.

OP
OP
bigsink

bigsink

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nitrates have leveled out around 20-25. I hope they get lower soon. I removed my Bellus angels and polyps are slowly extending again. Such a shame to see those bellus angels go.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 7 6.7%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.8%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.8%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 84 80.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.8%
Back