OP
atoll

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here comes a youngster - born 1950 in march. No mechanical filters no cleaning of sump or whatever. How the tank looks - look at my build thread. No WC either. Running a revers flow DSB too

Sincerely Lasse
Your tank like mine and Paul's plus a few others I know are doomed, doomed I tell you and will fail in the next 100 years. Give od take a few 100 years of course.

OP
OP
atoll

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What joy - I will fall before my tank :D:D

Sincerely Lasse
Don't tempt fate my friend
81c2820e2888ce6f1e8f60e03b7e32a9.jpg

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What joy - I will fall before my tank :D:D

Sincerely Lasse
Laisse,
I like what you added to your signature,
“Liberté, égalité, fraternité”.

who was the Swedish philosopher that defined expert as “someone who has made all the errors possible in a specific field of endeavor”.

I am trying to define this cohort of old school pioneers that are talking S.H.I.T.

Both you & I have municipal waste water certificates to stir detritus. Yours is an advanced degree in humor.

Last edited:

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Laissez,
I like what you added to your signature,
“Liberté, égalité, fraternité”.

who was the Swedish philosopher that defined expert as “someone who has made all the errors possible in a specific field of endeavor”.

I am trying to define this cohort of old school pioneers that are talking S.H.I.T.

Both you & I have waste water certificates to stir detritus.
I´m sorry to say that Nils Bohr who said "an expert is someone who has made every possible mistake in a narrow field of expertise" was not a swede - he was danish:mad::D

Sincerely Lasse

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My wife use to state two things

Men develop their mind up to 14 years - after this the only growth in length and the width of their bellies
The only difference between a boy and a man is the cost of their toys

Sincerely Lasse

Last edited:

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your tank like mine and Paul's plus a few others I know are doomed, doomed I tell you and will fail in the next 100 years. Give od take a few 100 years of course.
I set my tank up as close to Paul's as possible. Picking his brain at every step. Everyone at the time said it would fail. UGF are a nitrate factory and will crash within a year. Here I am 3 years later with a beautiful, low maintenance tank.

OP
OP
atoll

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I set my tank up as close to Paul's as possible. Picking his brain at every step. Everyone at the time said it would fail. UGF are a nitrate factory and will crash within a year. Here I am 3 years later with a beautiful, low maintenance tank.
Shhhhh, we don't want everybody to know such things. You may get called a lair (more or less) told your tank will crash at any minute and your fish will die of all manner of diseases. Now I don't run an RFUGF but have done some years ago but apart from that I do very similar things to Paul with my reef. Glad your tank is doing so well with old school methods.

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I'm going to have to find an article published in FAMA or TFH back in the early 90's. It was by a professor at a college in NY someplace that got interested in what was really needed for an RFUGF. As I remember the RFUGF he set up in a 30 gallon system could handle something like 300 mg/l of ammonium chloride daily.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I wrote an article in FAMMA in maybe the 80s on RUGFs. :)

You had doubts?

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I wrote an article in FAMMA in maybe the 80s on RUGFs. :)

You had doubts?
I didn't have any at all. I actually returned some items I had originally just to go with this method instead. I'll take proven history over BRS videos any day.

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run a remote reversed flow UG with 25 cm coral sand on top. I call it Remot Reversed Deep Sand Bed, Done for 5 years now. able do carbone dose below the sand bed and vary the flow. Measure pH and Redox under the sand bed. i also wonder when it will crash.

Sincerely Lasse

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going to have to find an article published in FAMA or TFH back in the early 90's. It was by a professor at a college in NY someplace
That guy probably read my article and stole my idea. :confused:

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It seems that us Geezers progressed or advanced past the quarantine, medication, worry debate and found a better way. Eventually these youngun Whippersnappers will get on board and stop losing fish to disease. :D

But, we were all there. I remember the days of fighting ich no matter what I did. Spots, spots, spots.

There was a time I thought all fish just normally came with spots. I was even thinking of using "Brillo" on them as it was that frustrating. ;Facepalm

But luckily there were no computers, experts or books so we had to use something that used to be used a lot, but not so much any more. Common sense.

WE started looking closely at the fish. I spent many hundreds of hours underwater with them knowing that cell phones were not a thing yet so I know I didn't leave one in my Speedo.

Eventually we were just about able to read their mind. :rolleyes:

Of course in those days it was not called ich. It was oodinium and fresh water fish, or bait had ich.
Then it was called something else, then another thing. But by then, we pioneers learned that no matter what they want to call it or how many colorful charts they came up with of their life cycle and how many medications they invented and at what dose, it didn't matter because our fish decided they didn't have time for all that nonsense and just wanted to get on with their life without all this drama.

In time someone invented computers and the very next day, "disease" forums were invented because not everyone figured it out yet. But the fish always knew. And still know. :p

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 32 17.8%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 31 17.2%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 33 18.3%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 76 42.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.4%
Back