No refugium or dump

BostonBill

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t have a refugium or a sump what can I put in my display tank to kill hair algae and brown algae?I plan on getting a sump but I don’t have the money I got plenty of empty tanks but don’t know how to make a sump or refugium?

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s probably being caused by raised phosphate which it can use as a food source (and give a false low reading)

I use rowaphos to keep in under control (GFO). You could try it in a bag but ideally it wants to be in a reactor

And welcome!

madlos123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How big is your display? I am using an aquaclear 110 or any hang on back filter on my 40 gallon and put chaeto in it. You can also use gfo in a bag probably the cheapest way and put it on your hob filter

Then i manually remove the algae with toothbrush, scrapper, and fish net

1ocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t have a refugium or a sump what can I put in my display tank to kill hair algae and brown algae?I plan on getting a sump but I don’t have the money I got plenty of empty tanks but don’t know how to make a sump or refugium?
making a sump is super easy out of a used tank...many plan ideas on R2R, search sump designs. They go from very simple to extreme designs...

Fred2482

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome! You can buy a sump or use a tank to build one. Fish and inverts can help with algae, however as some have stated getting your phosphates down will help the most. I would use on of the methods mentioned above as well as manually remove as much as possible.

1ocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes and there are many options to getting PO4, NO2,NO3 etc down.
I planned a refuge on the 300 but after a lot of research and talking to people around the world, I have build a sulfur reactor with aragonite tower, and also using a two little fishes PHosban reactor, a aquamax carbon reactor with chemipure blue in it. runs only once in a while, a air exchange tower, to name a few things..
R2R gives you access to alot of great people to talk to and learn from...
I did...
I build two separate sumps for the 300 out of acrylic.

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!

86752F0F-DB79-4C57-8B35-C78E20CBE8C9.gif

You can always get a chaeto reactor like the Tunze MAR.
B9BD987D-BD74-4EA0-887D-48DBAA5F0F81.jpeg

Adrift

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

1ocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R. See tip six in video

hey Adrift, Thanks for the tip and link but I don't do facebook etc...not a fan of it all

P-Dub

The ocean is open to all, merciful to none.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome!!! Type Algae control in the search box. TONS of info. Find a solution or two that will meet the need of your current system and report back!

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Welcome! Glad you joined.

I used Vibrant and it took 3+ months of weekly dosing (follow bottle) before it killed off green hair algae... that was last to finally go. Vibrant took out my macro algae in refugium before it swiveled to green hair algae. ... and now war #2 with green hair algae is underway.

My BF has put curtains on our southern facing windows (white light is also fuel, you don't mention your water parameter values for (fuel) phosphates and nitrates), wants me to cut back fish food to starvation rations (NOT happening) and using Vibrant this time. I'd put a 4 foot UV sterilizer on tank, but he doesn't want it turned on because he thinks it interferes with Vibrant (don't get me started). He's okay'd my getting white egg crate and putting in my (empty) refugium area to give the green hair algae (GHA) some place to grow so there is less GHA rock sucking in display tank and easier removal from refugium sump. It should also cut down on what I suspect is pod loss (there is a LOT of rock cleaning & GHA siphoning in our main tank) so glad I'm culturing pods to put in my tank daily. Eventually you (and I again) will find a way forward with GHA. Already great suggestions in this thread from everyone.

Have you considered starting your build thread? I found its a great place to document my tank's evolution for myself. Like you, I started tank first then joined, so I'm still finding myself going back collecting pictures & updating historically as well as current state. Once you create your first post in your thread and link it to your account, they will give you build badge (look left, under my ID)

This is a good reference book type online article I still review:

1ocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First I have to say there are so many good products out there to use, giving all of us the choices to use what we want. I have chosen Brightwell for me and for others they may not like my choice but thats why the world gives us choices so we all can be individuals.
This forum is a great place to share ideas and experiences, good or bad so we can all learn from....I got this idea from reading and from others who had good results.
I am doing the new 300 with the brightwell products and no tank lights on for two months or more.
Started the 300 as follows.
Filled with rodi water and Red Sea blue bucket salt
Then added Microbacter Start XLM for a week.
We are now in this stage of the process
Microbacter Clean along with Brightwell Bio Fuel for 4 months.Keep lights off for at least 2 months...
No carbon,GFO,PO4 reactors.
Then after 4 months switch to Microbacter 7 for maintenance
Have a great night...

Back