No Videos

Reef Box

Shoulder Deep in Saltwater.......Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
#reefsquad Not sure if this is the right place but I didn't see anywhere else where it might fit. Am I the only one that has an issue with videos not showing up/not playing? I'm on a MAC and it started a few months ago. can someone direct me on how to fix it. I want to see the cool videos everyone's posting.

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a Mac but haven't had any problems with videos. Can you post an example link for a thread where you're having the problem?

Wee Mad Arthur

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve posted multiple times that I can’t view them either on iPadOS (Air 2019)

OP
OP
Reef Box

Reef Box

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a Mac but haven't had any problems with videos. Can you post an example link for a thread where you're having the problem?
next one I come across I will post a link. However I have not seen a single video show up in a while. the post shows the play button in the center of what should be a video box but when I I click on it it shows that it's playing 0.00 of 0.00 at the bottom of the box I'll get a pick of it as well and post it here

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
next one I come across I will post a link. However I have not seen a single video show up in a while. the post shows the play button in the center of what should be a video box but when I I click on it it shows that it's playing 0.00 of 0.00 at the bottom of the box I'll get a pick of it as well and post it here

Here’s one of my videos for you to test. This content is hosted on YouTube, and is 1:29 minutes long. Let me know if it plays:

Also, are you only having the problem with videos posted here on R2R, or on other websites as well?

Wee Mad Arthur

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

That’s what I get on my iPad.

Wee Mad Arthur

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s one of my videos for you to test. This content is hosted on YouTube, and is 1:29 minutes long. Let me know if it plays:

Also, are you only having the problem with videos posted here on R2R, or on other websites as well?

YouTube ones work for me on iPad but here’s an example of what doesn’t

Wee Mad Arthur

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
D4FD63E9-B354-4A19-B94D-D59BE3849C9F.png

OP
OP
Reef Box

Reef Box

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks @Wee Mad Arthur ! @SuncrestReef, Wee Mad Arthur provided the exact issue above. I'm On a MacBook Air. Not on an iPod so I should be getting the full version of the website verses a mobile version. that phones and iPads get. The Youtube hosted videos I have no issue with what ever is being posted alternatively I am unable to see.

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks @Wee Mad Arthur ! @SuncrestReef, Wee Mad Arthur provided the exact issue above. I'm On a MacBook Air. Not on an iPod so I should be getting the full version of the website verses a mobile version. that phones and iPads get. The Youtube hosted videos I have no issue with what ever is being posted alternatively I am unable to see.

OK, here's a bit more info:

The non-YouTube videos appear to be media content embedded directly into the R2R posts. I'm unable to view those videos on my iPhone XS, iPad, or MacBook running MacOS Catalina using Safari. However, if I browse using Chrome instead of Safari on my MacBook, the videos work. Chrome on the iPhone or iPad still will not show the video.

So, if you're OK using Chrome on your Mac, that should solve the problem for you.

Wee Mad Arthur

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Just so you are aware we do get full desktop versions of websites in Safari on iPads, not mobile versions.

Wee Mad Arthur

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

The non-YouTube videos appear to be media content embedded directly into the R2R posts. I'm unable to view those videos on my iPhone XS, iPad, or MacBook running MacOS Catalina using Safari. However, if I browse using Chrome instead of Safari on my MacBook, the videos work. Chrome on the iPhone or iPad still will not show the video.

So, if you're OK using Chrome on your Mac, that should solve the problem for you.

I‘ve mentioned this issue a few times and regularly see people saying they can’t view videos but I guess it’s either too hard to fix or admin aren’t that bothered....?

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can see about half of them. I am wondering if the issue is actually the device used to create the video.

TriggerFinger

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I only view this forum from an iPhone and can’t see any videos unless they are YouTube links. It’s the same for a lot of iPhone users. I too would like to see all the videos!

OP
OP
Reef Box

Reef Box

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Hopefully there is a fix other than me downloading Chrome on my mac. I don't browse with Chrome in general. I'd rather just not watch the videos although I'd like to.

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The non-YouTube videos appear to be media content embedded directly into the R2R posts.
Correct.
I'm unable to view those videos on my iPhone XS, iPad, or MacBook running MacOS Catalina using Safari. However, if I browse using Chrome instead of Safari on my MacBook, the videos work. Chrome on the iPhone or iPad still will not show the video.
That's exactly it, and captures the root of the problem.
The issue is a device/browser issue or settings that prevents or blocks playback. It is not the forum software.
On most windows or android devices using Chrome, there is no issue with playback. iOS, and especially safari, is where most blocking of playback occurs.
I‘ve mentioned this issue a few times and regularly see people saying they can’t view videos but I guess it’s either too hard to fix or admin aren’t that bothered....?
As above, it is not an issue on our side - therefore we can't fix it.
The only solution we have would be to not allow direct upload of videos, and force users to use a 3rd party again, like YouTube. This is how things used to be on the prior version of the forum software, but this also makes users unhappy because they don't want to use a 3rd party.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 57 40.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 29 20.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 35.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.6%
Back