No water change experiment has ended

G Santana

Hospitality Elf
View Badges
Reaction score
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/this-little-pigg
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Because I have a big tank and a light bio load I decided about 7 or 8 months ago to stop water changes as soon as I started dosing AFR. I figured that if AFR gave me what what is being depleted and I have a skimmer and ATS going 24/7 along with a light bio load that I had achieved a happy equilibrium where I could forgo water changes.
I was wrong.
The last few months the tank was looking dingy and I lost a couple of frags that never really took hold
Today I did a 32 gallon water change, i used a white 7 gallon bucket to empty the 32 gallons into, in that bucket you could see how yellow the water really was, the contrast was really eye opening.

I thought I was providing great water quality, but I was wrong.

Now I don't run carbon and that might have helped but I love my tangs too much to run the risk of exposure to whatever causes HHLE. Just not willing to risk it.

What do you folks who go without water changes think?

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How many gallons do you change at a time. Looks like I too will start weekly changes.

I have a 90g and change out 10 gallons weekly. My corals looks so much better since I upped the water change frequency.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
There is nothing wrong with high quality Carbons - or something like chemipure. But just a comment be very careful - when you start changing large amounts of water in a 'yellowed' tank - if you do it too quickly - it can markedly increase the light intensity reaching your corals - good luck though!

OP
OP
G Santana

G Santana

Hospitality Elf
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 90g and change out 10 gallons weekly. My corals looks so much better since I upped the water change frequency.
Your tank is beautiful, so that sounds like sound advice.
Hey I gave it a shot and learned my lesson. No water changes isn't for me.
Thanks!!!

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went the first 18 months in my 120 with zero WC. I did a 12g WC and did not notice anything. I started doing them every 2 months now its once a month.
I had no issues but the wife noticed and asked after I did one what did I do? Overall the tank just looked better. I believe I am removing things we cant test for with the once a month WC.
So the 120 is down being replaced by a 48x24x16 system.
My other 3 systems get 10% a month and look great.
Here is a pic of my 45 frag system with alot of corals from my 120.
I run rox carbon on all systems.
20220403_161808.jpg

OP
OP
G Santana

G Santana

Hospitality Elf
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is nothing wrong with high quality Carbons - or something like chemipure. But just a comment be very careful - when you start changing large amounts of water in a 'yellowed' tank - if you do it too quickly - it can markedly increase the light intensity reaching your corals - good luck though!
What is the Go To carbon, I'd love to give it a try.

OP
OP
G Santana

G Santana

Hospitality Elf
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went the first 18 months in my 120 with zero WC. I did a 12g WC and did not notice anything. I started doing them every 2 months now its once a month.
I had no issues but the wife noticed and asked after I did one what did I do? Overall the tank just looked better. I believe I am removing things we cant test for with the once a month WC.
So the 120 is down being replaced by a 48x24x16 system.
My other 3 systems get 10% a month and look great.
Oh I believe you, I will never Not do water changes after today's experience

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You cannot forego water changes unless you are able to export enough waste...IME.
It just collects.

Its a fine balance and sometimes different equipment is needed..even intervention of a water polisher.

Curious, did you follow any method?

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is the Go To carbon, I'd love to give it a try.
Brs rox.

I run this in a cheap brs reactor pretty much year round.

neonreef3d

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
No water change for my tank, just icp test, and dose accordingly. Carbon should be used accordingly as well. I dose bacteria sold at algae barn to combat cyano bacteria and nuisance algae… the only time there is any type of water exchange is when it’s time to clean out the sump.. otherwise UV and skimmer take care of the filtration… not to mention SERA crystal clear filters I have in my media cups…. No filter socks.

OP
OP
G Santana

G Santana

Hospitality Elf
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just noticed that after the water change my skimmer stopped skimming, the bubble level in the column dropped significantly due to their being alot less dissolved organics. I had to drastically alter/restrict the outflow in order to get the level back up. If that doesn't tell you that there was too much dissolved organics nothing will.

OP
OP
G Santana

G Santana

Hospitality Elf
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not to your exact topic… but you mentioned carbon and tangs. Would the amount of carbon in chemi-pure be looked at the same way?
I really don't know. Good question
I had a tank 32 yrs ago, had tangs and ran cheap carbon 24/7 never even heard of it affecting tangs. But with all the anecdotal information being shared I am gun shy. Again, I love my tangs lol

OP
OP
G Santana

G Santana

Hospitality Elf
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You cannot forego water changes unless you are able to export enough waste...IME.
It just collects.

Its a fine balance and sometimes different equipment is needed..even intervention of a water polisher.

Curious, did you follow any method?
I have a skimmer, ATS and a UV.
I vacuumed the bare bottom every two weeks after stirring all the muck off the rocks. The only thing I didn't employ was a canister pleated filter

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Because I have a big tank and a light bio load I decided about 7 or 8 months ago to stop water changes as soon as I started dosing AFR. I figured that if AFR gave me what what is being depleted and I have a skimmer and ATS going 24/7 along with a light bio load that I had achieved a happy equilibrium where I could forgo water changes.
I was wrong.
The last few months the tank was looking dingy and I lost a couple of frags that never really took hold
Today I did a 32 gallon water change, i used a white 7 gallon bucket to empty the 32 gallons into, in that bucket you could see how yellow the water really was, the contrast was really eye opening.

I thought I was providing great water quality, but I was wrong.

Now I don't run carbon and that might have helped but I love my tangs too much to run the risk of exposure to whatever causes HHLE. Just not willing to risk it.

What do you folks who go without water changes think?
Yellow water can be fixed with ozone a couple of hours per week, via skimmer.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 18 8.0%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 39 17.4%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 150 67.0%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.7%
Back