No3 testing

Clownfishgang

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What does everyone use to test for nitrate, I have been using salifert and it’s really hard sometimes to tell what exact color it is. What other brands are good and reliable for testing nitrate.

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like NYOS when testing levels between 3 and 12 but I like Salifert best for levels under 3....when looking from the side the color changes are easy to read. Red Sea is ok but the actual colors don't match the card very well for me.

OP
OP
Clownfishgang

Clownfishgang

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, and thats two for NYOS ... how do you rate its effectiveness in ranges under 5?
I’ve never used NYOS, I watched the brs video about test kits and they rate the salifert and nyos the best two to use and read and most accurate. IMO I just feel like I have a hard time reading the levels on the salifert tests maybe it’s just me.

hyprc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Started out with Red Sea's kit (my no3 ran too low for it to detect), switched to Salifert once it ran out. Bought a bunch of Salifert kits since.

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Started out with Red Sea's kit (my no3 ran too low for it to detect), switched to Salifert once it ran out. Bought a bunch of Salifert kits since.
Salifert has sorta a low range resolution but I found the Red Sea easier (not being argumenative, just adding contrasting sample as I believe you, and not disputing your opinion)
The negative w/the Red Sea is the excruciating wait time. ....

Jimbhoy13

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What does everyone use to test for nitrate, I have been using salifert and it’s really hard sometimes to tell what exact color it is. What other brands are good and reliable for testing nitrate.
I use Salifert. Yes it’s hard to detect but it’s usually between 5 and 10 so I take it as nearer 10.

splitting_lanes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had my eyes tested for colors in the past, and came up a little colorblind in the purple/orange spectrum. If I recall correctly, this is a common occurrence in males.

So when I saw the BRS video, I was reminded of my own limitations with purple. I wonder if other guys have the same problem, undiagnosed, that may make it easier to read shades of yellows.

hyprc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stats: 1 in 12 men (vs 1 in 200 women) are colorblind and usually, that issue has to do with blue. If you have a lady in the house, this may help with reading said test accurately ;)

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 86.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back