Nodules (internal) at the base of hippo tang's tail

sandys

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,
We have a fat and happy hippo tang that we've had for almost a year. She has developed white nodules (internal) at the base of her tail (both sides). All water parameters are good, and she's still active and eating. What is this and how can we help her? Thanks in advance for your help. We have had her since she was a baby and has been a wonderful addition to our tank.

IMG_4793.jpg

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This is difficult - and more information is needed. You can read the link to answer some/all of the questions In my signature. BUT:

1. This does not look like a common problem.
2. Is there a chance that the fish damaged its 'blade' - and is now infected?
3. Is there a possibility for you to get a while picture?
4. Do you think it's something externally attached (i.e. that can be scraped off) - or is it literally internal

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
PS my guess is - it's not bacterial - since there are no systemic symptoms - and I assume your other fish are fine. Second - I suppose it could be a tumor - or a weird lymphocystis. Hopefully @Jay Hemdal will weigh in. Any more information you could provide would be helpful

OP
OP
S

sandys

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is difficult - and more information is needed. You can read the link to answer some/all of the questions In my signature. BUT:

1. This does not look like a common problem.
2. Is there a chance that the fish damaged its 'blade' - and is now infected?
3. Is there a possibility for you to get a while picture?
4. Do you think it's something externally attached (i.e. that can be scraped off) - or is it literally internal
Thank you so much. I will keep trying to get a better photo. It looks internal and we did see a a small horizontal slit at the very base of her tail. We have a pretty peaceful tank ~ three chromis, two Darwin clowns, a scooter blenny, a diamond goby, and a pair of cleaner shrimp. We have lots of soft coral and live rock which she is always swimming in and out of...

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hello,
We have a fat and happy hippo tang that we've had for almost a year. She has developed white nodules (internal) at the base of her tail (both sides). All water parameters are good, and she's still active and eating. What is this and how can we help her? Thanks in advance for your help. We have had her since she was a baby and has been a wonderful addition to our tank.

IMG_4793.jpg
Looks like a cyct and would be likely bacterial either from injury or argument with another tang that may have used scalpel and produced a cut that became infected. It should not impede swimming or behaviors but also should be treated internally.
Maracyn 2 absorbed or Seachem Meroplex added to food at 5000ml would be treatment for this in a quarantine setting with added aeration via airstone.

OP
OP
S

sandys

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like a cyct and would be likely bacterial either from injury or argument with another tang that may have used scalpel and produced a cut that became infected. It should not impede swimming or behaviors but also should be treated internally.
Maracyn 2 absorbed or Seachem Meroplex added to food at 5000ml would be treatment for this in a quarantine setting with added aeration via airstone.
I appreciate your advice! There are no other tangs in the tank but a cyst does make sense! I will look into the treatments you suggested and order one. You have been very helpful, many thanks! :)

Aquatic acrobat in your aquarium: Have you ever kept an eel?

• I currently keep an eel in my tank.

Votes: 29 14.9%
  • I have kept an eel in my tank in the past.

Votes: 32 16.4%
  • I have not kept an eel in my tank, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 35 17.9%
  • I have no plans to keep an eel.

Votes: 96 49.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.5%
Back