Noisy Ice Caps

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone have any hints or tips to quiet down ice cap 3k pumps? No matter how often I clean them, they get noisy after a few days. And i know the reason is trapped air in the impeller. If I shut the pumps down the air escapes and the pump is dead silent for a few hours until air pockets build up in the impeller and its noisy again.
At this point I'm ready to scrap them for a pair of MP40's. I loved my MP10's on the 40B but went with these due to cost. But I may bite the bullet and save up for mp40s.

Thoughts, hints, tips.....anything??

Softhammer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 3k is virtually silent. Do you reverse it? Mine run up to 100% for 20 seconds then run reverse up to 60% for 20 seconds, probably helps to flush it out. ALSO, i did have noise for a bit actually, just remembered, the bushings were toast. Replaced them and back in biz.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish I could help, I have a different model gyre. Short of putting them a little lower in the tank I'm not sure what you could do. I don't have that problem with mine.

OP
OP
Crabs McJones

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish I could help, I have a different model gyre. Short of putting them a little lower in the tank I'm not sure what you could do. I don't have that problem with mine.
Thanks :) I've thought about lowering them, but they're not sucking in air so I'm not sure where the air pockets are forming from. I think its microbubbles gathering up over time

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks :) I've thought about lowering them, but they're not sucking in air so I'm not sure where the air pockets are forming from. I think its microbubbles gathering up over time
By moving them lower they will have a little more pressure which might prevent the microbubble from collecting or keep gasses from coming out of the water. More depth is one way to help prevent cavitation, which is what you are experiencing I believe.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm just not sure you can move them deep enough! I have Maxspects which are a little different design.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 6 6.7%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 4.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 5.6%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 70 77.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 5.6%

Back