Noisy Overflow

  • Thread starter Thread starter jamesm
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

jamesm

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Nov 12, 2014
Messages
76
Reaction score
1
Location
Florida
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My wife is complaining about how noisy my reef tank is. I have a 75 gallon rimless deep Blue tank. The noise is coming from the water going in the overflow. The water in the overflow rises then goes back down as if it is breathing. This causes the water to rush in once the water reaches its lower level which creates the water noise. I have drilled out the breather hole a little lareger which resulted in instead of a water noise it turned into a suction noise. Should I drill the hole out a little larger? I'm not sure if that is what I should do? Once the hole is drilled I cannot go back. Be nice if there was a little valve where I could control the amount of air going in. Any help here would be appreciated.
 
I had a similar problem. Drilled a small 1/4"-5/16" hole in the top of my down pipe. Stuck in a short length of air line tubing with a valve on top. I also put a valve on my drain line so I could control the flow and didn't get the toilet flushing effect. The only thing I hear now is the water falling over the overflow teeth. With the valve you can control how high to keep the water in the overflow compartment to eliminate a long water fall.
 
The old links are not up anymore it seems. Google hofer gurgle buster and watch the youtubes or read the many threads about them. My overflow is silent because of it.
 
I had a similar problem. Drilled a small 1/4"-5/16" hole in the top of my down pipe. Stuck in a short length of air line tubing with a valve on top. I also put a valve on my drain line so I could control the flow and didn't get the toilet flushing effect. The only thing I hear now is the water falling over the overflow teeth. With the valve you can control how high to keep the water in the overflow compartment to eliminate a long water fall.


Go with this option or if you can have 3 drains setup a herbie style drain. Quietest drain ever with fail safe.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DOES YOUR REEFING AREA LOOK LIKE BETWEEN MAINTENANCE SESSIONS?

  • Clean and tidy—everything gets put away

    Votes: 4 44.4%
  • Mostly cleaned up, but a few tools stay out

    Votes: 1 11.1%
  • Organized chaos—I know where everything is

    Votes: 2 22.2%
  • Enter at your own risk! Buckets, hoses, and towels are basically permanent fixtures

    Votes: 1 11.1%
  • It depends on where I am in the maintenance cycle...

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The tsunami hit. Hard.

    Votes: 1 11.1%
  • A different take... (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new