Noisy overflow

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s a durso. I can see water spouting out of the hole sometimes
It should look like this or you can do just two elbows so it's a "u" shape. (upside down of coarse). Just keep going bigger with the hole until it's quiet. The hole should be so it's straight down the pipe. (that elbow piece).

Screenshot_20210928-185338_Chrome.jpg

Shooter6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does he have a Herbie drain?

If so, the main drain should be about 5" below the weir and the secondary just below the weir so you have no splash over it. The 5" so no bubbles get sucks down as a funnel from the siphone may be made. Gate valve not a ball cuz it would be too hard to tune /maintain. That should be installed as close as possible to the sump. Close but still be able to fiddle with it.
The idea is to have a continuous siphone. If it gets clogged or slows, you still have the secondary and it will make noise so you catch it and make your corrections. Make sure the secondary handles all the flow that your pumps puts out.

Sorry, just clarifying so it gets done once the right way.
You can tune it with a ball valve. I did on my 2.5 inch drain pipe on my 400g. It's harder but still can be done. I recommended a gate valve like you did but to be clear both can work just as well.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can tune it with a ball valve. I did on my 2.5 inch drain pipe on my 400g. It's harder but still can be done. I recommended a gate valve like you did but to be clear both can work just as well.
No. That's really dangerous without an emergency drain.

Andynz2000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Drilling the hole didn’t do anything. More water splashing up the top now. Will probably have to slow the water exiting the drain somehow

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will probably have to slow the water exiting the drain somehow
I didn't expect that to help.

Don't do that, unless you want a flood. You want to slow the flow out of the return pump.

Unless you want to re plum the drain system to a Herbie.

Andynz2000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nah. I kept the flow of the return pump the same. Put a filter inside the drain. Watch this video! Works a charm

I’ll probably put a valve there eventually

nzkiwi80

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s a durso. I can see water spouting out of the hole sometimes

Like I and others have said, slow the return down, a ball valve like I suggested is the best way to do this. You could try crimping the return pipe but not sure how effective that would be.

You can stuff around with the hole on top for hours, I did!! It's near impossible to make such small adjustments and you may need to drill bigger which is a big risk because you can't undo that.

I went to Aqua One importer who was useless. Said they'd never heard of the problem but google told me it's actually very very common. I've helped at least 2 other people here in NZ with the same issue and they've used the same solution.

I got my ball value off the NZ version of eBay (trademe) for about $12. Problem solved and it's still going strong.

Just give it a try.

nzkiwi80

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nah. I kept the flow of the return pump the same. Put a filter inside the drain. Watch this video! Works a charm

I’ll probably put a valve there eventually

I did this until my valve returned. It does work because you're breaking the flow of water more softly. But it depends if you want any risks?

If the filter gets blocked in anyway, your display tank will fill and then overflow into your room. It'll take about 2-3 minutes to happen it's basically emptying your sump into your display tank as the return pump will just keep going until it burns out.

Last edited:

nzkiwi80

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ng the hole didn’t do anything. More water splashing up the top now. Will probably have to slow the water exiting the drain somehow
It's frustrating and the system is rubbish. I tell people to avoid them. The skimmer it's useless the light isn't much better either.... but you like me, got it and are stuck with it for now.

Just buy a ball valve. Seriously, just try it. I know forums can be flooded with mixed messages and conflicting advise but this will cost you spare change, all you'll need to do it cut it into your existing return pipe. You can replace that from Bunnings for a few dollars a meter if need be. But it'll work.

Andynz2000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's frustrating and the system is rubbish. I tell people to avoid them. The skimmer it's useless the light isn't much better either.... but you like me, got it and are stuck with it for now.

Just buy a ball valve. Seriously, just try it. I know forums can be flooded with mixed messages and conflicting advise but this will cost you spare change, all you'll need to do it cut it into your existing return pipe. You can replace that from Bunnings for a few dollars a meter if need be. But it'll work.
Hey bro thanks for the reply. I’m a kiwi too here in Sydney. The mesh was just a short term fix and I understand the risks. Can you link me the exact valve you used?
Yeah I’m going to replace the light and put the stock one in the sump to grow algae haha.

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Drilling the hole didn’t do anything. More water splashing up the top now. Will probably have to slow the water exiting the drain somehow
How big a hole did you go? Did you take the cap completly off? That will prove the hole works.
The problem is that your sucking air with the water. The hole is to prevent that. If the hole is still to small it will need to get rid of the vacuum its creating, hence, sucking air with the water and sending it down to the sump. But, after all that, the pipe size will determine how much flow there will be.

nzkiwi80

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey bro thanks for the reply. I’m a kiwi too here in Sydney. The mesh was just a short term fix and I understand the risks. Can you link me the exact valve you used?
Yeah I’m going to replace the light and put the stock one in the sump to grow algae haha.

Sure, I got it off this guy. He was semi retired by memory, a really good bugger. He'd probably post one to Aussie if you needed.

Andynz2000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sure, I got it off this guy. He was semi retired by memory, a really good bugger. He'd probably post one to Aussie if you needed.

Will that fit the drain pipe for my aquaone minireef 150? I thought the drain pipe was closer to 40mm in diameter

nzkiwi80

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You cut it into the return line not the drain (green line). You want to control the water going from the sump back into the display aquarium. That'll slow what overflows down into the sump again.

When you think about it, if you slowed the drain and more water went into the display tank than can be drained it'll eventually overflow out of the aquarium. Slowing the return will mean that'll never happen as the drain can handle whatever goes into the display..

Just measure the inside of the green hose. It should be 20mm.

You can buy clear replacement tube (if needed) from Bunnings and most Aquarium shops.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 45 35.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back