Noisy Pump Help

MONTANTK

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Recently purchased a Sicce pump for my 7.4g tank. It runs about 160gph and it’s incredibly noisy. I took it out and ran it dry for a second and it was silent. I checked the impeller as well and it looks fine. Also checked that it’s not laying against anything. Any suggestions? Did I maybe get a bad pump?

Ippyroy

Defeater of Dinos
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get a silicone mat to put it on. That might help. What kind of noise is it? Bubbling, vibrations, humming, grinding?

OP
OP
MONTANTK

MONTANTK

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get a silicone mat to put it on. That might help. What kind of noise is it? Bubbling, vibrations, humming, grinding?
Loud humming noise

OP
OP
MONTANTK

MONTANTK

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And it is on suction cups

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I could never get mine quiet no matter what I tried, I tried two of them then gave up and bought a jecod dc pump, near silent on low setting.

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The mat will help. Those little suction cups are worthless IMHO. Then using a short piece of silicone tubing from the pump to PVC will should silence it.
May work for the op, I tried all those suggestions, didn’t work for me, if the OP needs to buy those items to try I would just go for the jecod dc pump as they are cheap.

Ippyroy

Defeater of Dinos
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there a diagram of what this would look like?
Here you go. This is similar to what I did.

OP
OP
MONTANTK

MONTANTK

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here you go. This is similar to what I did.
Ah okay, I must have misunderstood. I currently have the silicone hose in place. I think I’m just going to have to wait until my other pumps come in

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s weird as some people swear they are silent, my guess it’s either some or just duff pumps or the stand the tank is on plays a big part in what vibrations are transferred.

OP
OP
MONTANTK

MONTANTK

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s weird as some people swear they are silent, my guess it’s either some or just duff pumps or the stand the tank is on plays a big part in what vibrations are transferred.
I was thinking perhaps the area for the pump is small and bouncing around a lot of the noise. I don’t remember my pumps for my IM10 being this loud but it was also only 90gph. Keeping my hopes up with the Viaaqua because I’ve heard they’re very quiet

ksed

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You need more than silicone mats and tubing to tame one of those Sicce pumps.
Had a couple and will never buy another.
Varios .

OP
OP
MONTANTK

MONTANTK

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You need more than silicone mats and tubing to tame one of those Sicce pumps.
Had a couple and will never buy another.
Varios .
After a lot of trial and error I was able to quiet it down a little but not enough. I realized the pump compartment is too tight and it is in fact the vibrations from the pump causing the noise although it doesn’t touch any of the sides. I ordered a silicone mat and I’m going to cut pieces to fit all 4 sides as well as the bottom. Then the next issue to tackle is the heat the pump gives off. My thermometer shows the tank running at 82° with the sicce. The issue is that my heater is set to 78° but it is still on when the thermometer reads 82 so clearly one of those two things isn’t functioning properly. This has been a fun build to say the least

kp33

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After a lot of trial and error I was able to quiet it down a little but not enough. I realized the pump compartment is too tight and it is in fact the vibrations from the pump causing the noise although it doesn’t touch any of the sides. I ordered a silicone mat and I’m going to cut pieces to fit all 4 sides as well as the bottom. Then the next issue to tackle is the heat the pump gives off. My thermometer shows the tank running at 82° with the sicce. The issue is that my heater is set to 78° but it is still on when the thermometer reads 82 so clearly one of those two things isn’t functioning properly. This has been a fun build to say the least
I know this is an old post but did the mat help? My pump is vibrating my tank as well.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 19 30.6%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 51 82.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 16.1%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 11.3%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.8%
Back