Noisy Return Pump after Cleaning

Keen4

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So it was that time again- I cleaned my back flow sump and took out my return pump to clean it. When I put it back, it started making loud vibrating noise and now I have silicone pads inside the return chamber to help make it quiet. But its not helping. Not sure what happened. Ive cleaned this pump out before and never had an issue till now. Its new as of last January and was quiet. Does anyone know how to fix this beside placing silicone and other sheets of objects inside my filtration to quiet the vibrating? Also will this new vibrating sound shock my fish and anemones?

LxHowler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you take the impeller out to clean it? I had an issue before where I took the impeller out to clean it and then I didn't get it back in properly, this meant that the impeller was unbalanced making the while pump shake. I had to reseat it a couple of times to get it to stop vibrating.
I've also had it before where I hadn't clipped the casing back properly making that clip rattle and make noise

OP
OP
Keen4

Keen4

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you take the impeller out to clean it? I had an issue before where I took the impeller out to clean it and then I didn't get it back in properly, this meant that the impeller was unbalanced making the while pump shake. I had to reseat it a couple of times to get it to stop vibrating.
I've also had it before where I hadn't clipped the casing back properly making that clip rattle and make noise
Thats exactly what I did and theres a little stick that comes out of the impeller. Im not sure if I remember that coming out of the impeller. Im about ready to buy a complete replacement. Not sure if the replacement part is gonna work.

LxHowler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats exactly what I did and theres a little stick that comes out of the impeller. Im not sure if I remember that coming out of the impeller. Im about ready to buy a complete replacement. Not sure if the replacement part is gonna work.
Can you reopen the pump to see if that part is missing and try rebuilding it. Could be as simple as something slightly out of place

Tastee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That stick is the spindle on which the impeller rotates. Check to ensure that it has slid into the hole in the bottom of the impeller housing and the corresponding hole on the impeller cover. It should all fit together snugly but with enough play that the impeller can rotate freely. Also check whether you still have some calcium scale buildup inside the housing - if so that could be causing the noise and needs to be removed.

OP
OP
Keen4

Keen4

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That stick is the spindle on which the impeller rotates. Check to ensure that it has slid into the hole in the bottom of the impeller housing and the corresponding hole on the impeller cover. It should all fit together snugly but with enough play that the impeller can rotate freely. Also check whether you still have some calcium scale buildup inside the housing - if so that could be causing the noise and needs to be removed.
It’s not the spindle that’s coming out it’s another stick with a ball joint on it above the impeller. It’s used to cushion the impeller against the cover.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should just be a rubber cap on the impeller stem that will go inside of the cover to "bumper" the spindle and keep it in place.

Pump manufacturer and model would help us help you better too.

OP
OP
Keen4

Keen4

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It came with my Nuvo 20 Panorama. So its an Innovative Marine 210 something or another. Its gone a bit quieter now that its been running. I searched for this pump as a replacement. Seems like innovative marine stopped making it and now they are replacing it with the Mighty DC return pump 326 gph. I actually ordered it.

OP
OP
Keen4

Keen4

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should just be a rubber cap on the impeller stem that will go inside of the cover to "bumper" the spindle and keep it in place.

Pump manufacturer and model would help us help you better too.
Yes it was like a rubber tip with a stem that slipped inside of the spinner then the spinner slipped inside of the metal magnet into the little skinny stem inside.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 40.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 18 25.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 31.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.9%
Back