Noisy Sicce 1.5 PLEASE HELP ME

MarkyMark_

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a sicce 1.5 pump in my waterbox cube 20 and I can not get it to be silent. It is on the rubber feet not touching any sides in the rear chamber and still it produces a very audible hum that is driving me and my partner INSANE. I need help. This has to stop soon, I don't even enjoy my tank as much because of the constant frustration with noise

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried 2, tried rubber mats etc etc etc nothing worked, ended up swapping to a jecod.

I think the stand plays a big part in how quiet these pumps are, as some people claim they are silent.

coralfishreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a WB cube 20 and the stock return was very noisy. I had a good experience with the Tunze 1073.008 Silence Compact. That return pump fit perfectly in the 20 cube and was almost completely silent without any annoying hum or vibration.

The Sicce return pump I had on different tank had a hum noise and I ended up using it for my mixing station in the basement. The Sicce powerhead I have in one of my sumps vibrates like crazy if the cord touches anything. Have you tried holding the power cord off of the glass?

58e970b2-3f88-4897-87ba-5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a couple of the 1.0s and have found that angle sometimes makes a difference.
9F5D4886-FA86-4FDE-AF45-5531F9A21523.jpeg

In the one sump (jar) the bottom isn’t flat. After cleaning and moving the pump off centre to a slight angle it was really loud for a few weeks. (Fortunately I have a door on the room)
I have also found in some cases a lot of pressure against the pump (pumping up a few feet) can make them loud.

How long have you had your pump and do you have anything restricting flow on it?

PanchoG

The Force will be with you. Always.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe the rotor or the shaft are lose, try open it and then re-assemble the shaft.

OP
OP
MarkyMark_

MarkyMark_

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I appreciate all of the replies. The cord is not the cause of the vibration. I have disassembled, cleaned and reassembled twice now. Nothing to my knowledge is restricting flow. I've been at it for well over 10 hours this week trying everything that I can think of.

I'm really upset by this more than anything else so far in this hobby. here in Canada this pump ran me a total of $87 dollars and it's not even worth half of that. what a hunk of garbage. I will never touch another sicce product

vtecintegra

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got three and they all make a humming noise. Silent is a lie imo. I have to use the rubber feet and silicone tubing on the output to be happy.

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe the rotor or the shaft are lose, try open it and then re-assemble the shaft.

I believe it's vibration, I tried mine in a bucket of water, was very quiet whilst I was holding it in the middle of the bucket, as soon as I moved it towards the sides the noise started getting much worse.

Bacon505

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The sicce is a bad pump in general IME. I have used 4 as feed pump both internAl and extremal for my calcium reactor. They are really noisy, especially the externAl one. If little noise bothers you then i would avoid the sicce pump and go with something else.

ksed

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Be careful with DC pumps.
You need to look for a DC pump with more than a two pole motor. Must be at least 4 pole. Then they will be quieter and almost with zero vibration.

ksed

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mark! I noticed your post on GTA Reefers.
I was going to reply there as well but figured you will see my post hear anyway.

FishyDP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a sicce 2.0 for my scrubber and it hums as well..the only way I can get it close to silent it to have it suspended in the water (not touching anything) at a slight angle. I have jebao dc pumps that are much quieter, last longer and are easier to control flow for the same price or cheaper. Not a fan of sicce pumps, I would replace if this is your main pump and the noise is an issue.

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a sicce 2.0 for my scrubber and it hums as well..the only way I can get it close to silent it to have it suspended in the water (not touching anything) at a slight angle. I have jebao dc pumps that are much quieter, last longer and are easier to control flow for the same price or cheaper. Not a fan of sicce pumps, I would replace if this is your main pump and the noise is an issue.
That’s the pump I swapped to, never enough can’t be heard above everyday noises on the lowest setting, get I loud high pinched whine if on the higher settings tho which I believe is a thing for dc pumps, luckily I only need the lowest setting.

ksed

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s the pump I swapped to, never enough can’t be heard above everyday noises on the lowest setting, get I loud high pinched whine if on the higher settings tho which I believe is a thing for dc pumps, luckily I only need the lowest setting.
Common problems with the last variations of Jebao. Since they switched to sine wave with the DCP they are much quieter.

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Common problems with the last variations of Jebao. Since they switched to sine wave with the DCP they are much quieter.
Thanks for that, was going to try a different brand next time but I'll go for the Jebao again.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 140 88.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.7%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back