Non-conforming coral: Have you kept NPS corals?

Have you kept NPS corals?

• I currently keep NPS corals

Votes: 63 19.3%
  • I have kept NPS corals

Votes: 48 14.7%
  • I plan to keep NPS corals in the future

Votes: 58 17.8%
  • I have no plans to keep NPS corals

Votes: 150 46.0%
  • Other

Votes: 7 2.1%

• Total voters

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Non-conforming coral: Have you kept NPS corals?

Non-photosynthetic (NPS) corals don’t follow the same rules as many other corals and they do not require lighting for energy. Many NPS corals seem fuzzy and require regular feedings and attention. Have you kept NPS corals? Do you have tips or recommendations to share? Please tell us about your experience keeping NPS corals in the discussion thread.

MnM_NPS.jpeg

Photo by @M&M

For more inspiration, please see this NPS tank by @Dragon Lee which was selected as a recent tank of the month:

docforestal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had limited success with tubastrea and some non-phot. gorgonians when i had seahorses, had growth, but since they did not succeed long term would say not successful and would not do again as i dont have the time/desire to do;

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love keeping NPS!
My current Chilli coral has survived through ammonia spiking and only my Yumas and 2 leathers survived through that with my Chilli being the most healthy. I’d love to see NPS on the markets again as they are truly beautiful.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Dendro and gorgonia is currently what I keep for NPS

1680620123655.png

World Citizen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am trying. I'll write out my game.

I have set up a tank which has these NPS species in mind and I want to try and use some intelligence to plot the coral behaviour

I have 0 circulation pumps. All the flow in the tank is provided by the returnpump. This i a linear flow 24/7. It turns over the tank 15x per hour, and I am aiming for 20x. My current Vectra L2 pump makes to much noise at that level, so I need a different pump.

The Coral setup in the tank is in the middel. The flow in turning around the middle in circles.

I am going to try and detect the corals opening and closing.
-Maybe- I am able to plot the length a polyp is, but that's a Nice to have. With optical sensors and smart software I want to monitor visual information and plot this against others graphs of the tank.

I am now at the point I can manage the nutrients by flow. All the water from the returnpump (15x tank per hour) is going in a Rollerfilter. I can bypass this with a valve. If I lower the amount of water going in the Rollerfilter, the nutrients rise.

After that, 2x the tank per hour is going in the UV and FluidizedBed filter. I can also bypass this with a valve. If I lower the amount of water going in the UV and FluidizedBed, the nutrients rise.
If I feed a crazy amount of food, I still don't relatively rise in nutrients.

From this point I hope the get a grip on results. I am not a testcentrum, so I am not going to let coral die for results. But still, correlation is to bind found out.

Thats my try, any tips are always appreciated.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Northwest_Scapes_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Currently almost at 1 month with my Fully NPS Setup (you can click on my profile and find it if you'd like to check it out). I've got Tubastrea, Dendro, and Swiftia growing right now and doing really well. Hopefully after the one month mark, I'm set on getting a Red & Gold Menella and a few others to add to the collection
DSC06649.jpg

Will_WhatIsThis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love my nps corals. I have multiple types of dendros, a couple sun corals, and hidden cup coral. Haven’t had as much success with the sun coral, but the others are pretty easy to keep as long as you feed them often

twentyleagues

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've kept sun corals both orange and black, dendros, rhizos, and wire corals I'd guess you'd say lps nps. These all did wonderfully for me. It's basically like feeding your fish. I'd feed them heavily 3 days a week. They also got what ever food washed down the overflow from the tanks upstairs. Both tanks upstairs drained to the 90 that these were in. Only actinic lighting on this tank 1 48" t5. One of the rhizos was half dead when I got it and I nursed it back to health. I had them around 3 years before I sold the system. I fragged the dendros quite a few times in that time sold a lot and kept a lot to spread around the tank. The dendros did the best for me. The wire coral was a bit of a challenge at first. I didn't know it was nps. So for the first year I had it it was in one of the main tanks. The base grew some algae, which killed some of the flesh. I think it was Todd from cherry that set me straight. I fragged it in to 3 2.5 to 3" pieces. Once in the 90 nps it grew slow but well, they were 8-9" when I sold it all.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 19 33.3%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 13 22.8%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 16 28.1%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 9 15.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back