Non-Jumping Fish for 34g Tank

NJBillyV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm populating a Red Sea 170 and I plan to run without a top, I think it looks way better topless.

Problem is, can't get fish that are prone to jump out, and they have to be able to live in a 34g tank.

Any thoughts, suggestions?

Thanks!

SifuMemphis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All fish can jump if they get spooked etc. Some are just more prone to jump than others. There are DIY mesh tops, some acrylic mesh tops that look very nice and flush.

SifuMemphis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with @Lasse. There aren't any "jump free fish". Even fish you wouldn't expect, such as clownfish are commonly seen "carpet surfing".

When I had open top, i had 3 different clowns jump. Even when I did a ghetto top, they found the smallest hole to jump out of. Lesson learned, and now I have a full mesh top

LetItReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm populating a Red Sea 170 and I plan to run without a top, I think it looks way better topless.

Problem is, can't get fish that are prone to jump out, and they have to be able to live in a 34g tank.

Any thoughts, suggestions?

Thanks!

I have Bangaii, Blue Sapphire Damsel and Picasso Clownfish on my 25 Lagoon and no casualties yet.
I like the modern look without the lid esp my tank as shallow. It may jump on me but that is the risk I am taking.
Good luck!

OP
OP
NJBillyV

NJBillyV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really love the clean no top look, it would be a shame to ruin it with some type of mesh top. That being said, I will take a look at some you've suggested. I am willing to eat the cost of the occasional fish for the aesthetics of a top free tank as long as it doesn't happen to often.

Fishbird

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The way I see it, the animals in our tanks are live animals that are completely dependent on us for their care. I think it's our responsibility to put safeguards in place to prevent needless loss of life, whatever the cost in dollars of the fish or whatever we think about the aesthetics of a net top.

But seriously, you can get and make tops that are very hard to see/you can't see from some angles.

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really love the clean no top look, it would be a shame to ruin it with some type of mesh top. That being said, I will take a look at some you've suggested. I am willing to eat the cost of the occasional fish for the aesthetics of a top free tank as long as it doesn't happen to often.
Absolutely agree with you.......I too like the look of no top. That’s why rimless is so popular.
So far in 35 months, none of these guys have jumped from my 65g. I have never covered my DTs in 30 years.
Mated pair black ocs
Mandarin
Anthais (just one)
Gramma
Blue tang
Yellow tang
I reduce my chances of a jumper by keeping a smaller group of players, thus no aggression or tendencies to chase one another.
These are the original crew put in 30 months ago.
I have not added anything since except corals.
Always the risk though one may jump.
For sure most wrasses and gobies will jump no matter what......
So it’s a trade off.
Good luck, enjoy the tank the way you like it.

204A0FE5-234A-4654-8878-5CB78559017D.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
NJBillyV

NJBillyV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the suggestions I really appreciate it. I plan to have my fish a long time so I want to choose my initial stocking list carefully.

Arabyps

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a rimless Waterbox peninsula. Initially no cover but after a very expensive jawfish jumped I ordered a ClearView Lids Tsunami. As I sit on my couch observing the tank the cover is invisible. Highly recommend. Reef Builders did an extensive review here:

pecan2phat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Low profile DIY net cover with feed door does not need to look terrible. Take a look at a few angles of this with rimless corners:
IMG_0490.JPG
IMG_9422.JPG
IMG_4738.JPG
IMG_3884.JPG

OP
OP
NJBillyV

NJBillyV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Guys, you rock, I'll definitely look into other options! Do you folks think keeping the water level lower would help the jumping issue?

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 104 75.9%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 10.9%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 5.8%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back