Non Pod Decimating Wrasses?

CMO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can anyone recommend specific wrasses that might not destroy my copepod and amphipod population? A little while back I added a melanurus to my established 165 that had a TON of amphipods prior to introduction and it literally wiped out every last one. I have since re-homed the melanurus and my amphiopod population is nice and healthy again which is how I'd like to keep it.

Would something like a fairy wrasse be a better bet in this regard? Or other recommendations?

Thanks

Vahanyos

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Melanurus, Six Line, Line Spot Flasher Wrasse, Leapord Wrasse..... all wrasses i've kept and they LOVE to eat pods. Just helping you add to your pod eating wrasse list :)

Cment

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would something like a fairy wrasse be a better bet in this regard? Or other recommendations?

Yep, you got it...any flasher or fairy wrasse should be fine.

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fairy and flasher wrasses will not remove a pod population. With fairy wrasses just read up which ones are compatible with each other.

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fairies and Flashers would be the best. All fish will eat pods regardless but they don't target them the way that the Halichoeres or Leopard varieties do.

PDR

<°)))>{
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with the fairy and flasher wrasse recommendations.

That being said, I have never quite understood how so many people have their pod populations decimated by wrasses. I have 3 pod eating wrasses and a mandarin in my RSR 350 and my LR is literally covered with pods. All wrasses have been in the tank for a few months and the mandarin has been in the tank for about 2 years. I don't have a fuge but I do have about 10lbs of LR in the sump.

Am I just lucky or is there something else to consider, like maybe people aren't feeding their tank enough to help boost and support a healthy microfauna population?

Sorry to derail the thread, just something I've been curious about.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

That being said, I have never quite understood how so many people have their pod populations decimated by wrasses. I have 3 pod eating wrasses and a mandarin in my RSR 350 and my LR is literally covered with pods. All wrasses have been in the tank for a few months and the mandarin has been in the tank for about 2 years. I don't have a fuge but I do have about 10lbs of LR in the sump.

Am I just lucky or is there something else to consider, like maybe people aren't feeding their tank enough to help boost and support a healthy microfauna population?

I wonder if people are confusing types of pods. They aren't seeing the bigger amphipods/isopods and are missing the smaller copepods that are still there.

OP
OP
CMO

CMO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wonder if people are confusing types of pods. They aren't seeing the bigger amphipods/isopods and are missing the smaller copepods that are still there.

Yeah I'm mostly referring to larger amphipods / isopods with my Melanurus. He decimated my amphipod population in a 165g with 150 pounds of live rock, a large fuge and phyto fed every other day. The mention to copepods was in terms of other wrasses potentially eating them as I have only had a malanurus and wasn't sure.

I know all the tricks to find them at night with a flash light, on the glass etc. and what the different types look like so not user error (or so I think).

Last edited:

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I have a large H. melasmapomas and a M. geoffroyi in a 72x24 and I see lots of pods in my refugium....but almost none in my DT. I rarely see an amphipod in my filter socks. I have always wanted a mandarin but there is no way my tank would support one. I'm jealous!:D

Musovski

Soft Coral Enthusiast
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can anyone recommend specific wrasses that might not destroy my copepod and amphipod population? A little while back I added a melanurus to my established 165 that had a TON of amphipods prior to introduction and it literally wiped out every last one. I have since re-homed the melanurus and my amphiopod population is nice and healthy again which is how I'd like to keep it.

Thanks
Red Head Solon Wrasse

PDR

<°)))>{
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a large H. melasmapomas and a M. geoffroyi in a 72x24 and I see lots of pods in my refugium....but almost none in my DT. I rarely see an amphipod in my filter socks. I have always wanted a mandarin but there is no way my tank would support one. I'm jealous!:D

Yeah so the funny thing is I don’t actually see many in my sump, but at night on the rocks there are pods of all kinds, many that are much larger than I have seen previously.

Fwiw I had an adult grey head wrasse for years with my spotted mandarin without issues (from about the time the tank was 6-8 months old). I now have an ornate wrasse, yellow wrasse and melanurus with my mandarin, all fat and happy. It doesn’t hurt that my mandarin started eating frozen out of the blue a few weeks ago, but still no shortage of pods. I guess I’m just lucky lol.

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah so the funny thing is I don’t actually see many in my sump, but at night on the rocks there are pods of all kinds, many that are much larger than I have seen previously.

Fwiw I had an adult grey head wrasse for years with my spotted mandarin without issues (from about the time the tank was 6-8 months old). I now have an ornate wrasse, yellow wrasse and melanurus with my mandarin, all fat and happy. It doesn’t hurt that my mandarin started eating frozen out of the blue a few weeks ago, but still no shortage of pods. I guess I’m just lucky lol.

:D or I'm unlucky. My leopard and halichoeres wrasses are so fat they look like Titan subs but they still hunt pods all day long. LOL

maroun.c

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have more than 20 wrasses including melanurus pair and few leopards and a radiant wrass .... and tank can still sustain 2dragon face pipe fish 2 mandarins and 2 scooter blennys. It is a larger tank but proportionally ur tank is in better conditions. I believe pods populations are very prolific and can sustain against predation of tank has a good nutrient load and a large fudge. I only seeded 2-3 times just to be on the safe side but it’s been months I didn’t dose any and my wrass only inhabitants are still doing fine.

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Leopard and Melanurus and I definitely don't have much in the way of pods in my tank, but I didn't start a refugium in my Sump until November. Over the last few weeks I have seen them crawling around in my sump at night. I think it's just going to take a while for the pod population to build up.

Angel_Anthias lover

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I have teh excact same tank with 3 pod eating wrasses and a mandarin and i dont think my pod population has been decimated either, although i adf some every now and then just to make sure the population stays healthy, i dont check for them i just know they are there as i see my wrasses and mandarin constantly pecking on rocks lol

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.1%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.6%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 27 14.8%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 89 48.9%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 56 30.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.7%
Back