nonprofit idea

nicholas2010e

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why is there not a non profit that takes coral donations from aquarium hobbyists to help restore the coral reefs? There are many organizations that try to replant the coral reefs but why not take coral donations from reefers? I am sure they would get hundreds of donations from people wanting to help.

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really like the idea and the thought behind it, but there is a lot that complicates it.
The three big ones are:
Bringing captive strains into the wild that weren’t meant to be there.
Introducing nonnative hitchhikers that can damage a reef.
One mislabel can bring an invasive coral that damages the initial population.

OP
OP
nicholas2010e

nicholas2010e

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really like the idea and the thought behind it, but there is a lot that complicates it.
The three big ones are:
Bringing captive strains into the wild that weren’t meant to be there.
Introducing nonnative hitchhikers that can damage a reef.
One mislabel can bring an invasive coral that damages the initial population.
I understand that. However, nonprofits such as CORAL could easily provide a list of the only types of corals accepted (what is native to the area). Furthermore, they can follow strict treatment and quarantine of the coral to eliminate pests and diseases. Even if this process lasts a couple weeks many corals take much much longer to get to the needed size.

tehmadreefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The same reason you don’t throw unwanted pets into the wild. Invasive pests, disease, etc. there are a ton of coral restoration companies that do this in controlled conditions and in the actual ocean via leased water sites.

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I understand that. However, nonprofits such as CORAL could easily provide a list of the only types of corals accepted (what is native to the area). Furthermore, they can follow strict treatment and quarantine of the coral to eliminate pests and diseases. Even if this process lasts a couple weeks many corals take much much longer to get to the needed size.
I agree that it is possible to avoid these issues, but one screw up and it all gets messed up. Think of how easy it is for hitchhikers to go undetected for years with us. If it goes wrong in the wild, guess who gets blamed?

Azedenkae

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That sounds way more costly than if the nonprofits just mass-grow coral frags themselves and plant them themselves... like this: https://www.daydreamisland.com/eco-tourism.

Don't get me wrong, it is a nice idea to donate corals to a nonprofit and have them quarantine those corals and plant them and all that, but in practice the costs can be pretty crazy.

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
They put bans on certain coral already. I understand what you are asking. But, we have introduced micro algae into california and florida that became invasive.

Basicially what I am saying is. There is no saying what is going to hitch hike with a coral.

blasterman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Because if a wild coral reef is dieing because of environmental conditions, CO2 , temp levels etc. what good is replanting it from captive tanks?

Many reefs that are under stress seem to do fine if cuttings are taken a few miles away and kept in a protected area. I have yet to hear a valid explanation for this but have my own theories. We might be dealing with cyclical dieoffs accelerated by warmer waters and nutrient levels. Explains why the mass fragging in the same location grows fine.

monkeyCmonkeyDo

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
$. U think the gov will give u a grant or a buissness loan to take ur coral from home and plant it in the ocean? Lol.
Even non for profit.organizations have politics and $ behind them. Dont think otherwise.
D

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Countless issues and several of them already mentioned. I see the overarching issue being it just is not practical. For the cost of me shipping them coral, the logistics of them receiving, verifying coral species, quarantining, etc they could have grown several dozen or more frags.

For those really concerned it seem much more worthwhile and practical to send your favorite nonprofits some $$$.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back