noob here with question on starting

reefguy565

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kinda new, owned a SW tank 15 years ago. I want to setup a reef tank but how do I start... meaning everything is so expensive, if i but one thing a month by the time i do my build the first thing will be outdated. i just got a 10 gallon tank setup with basic stuff and it cost me over 140 bucks and thats just a qt tank.. so what are the things i will need to get started? looking to start slow and do most sps with a few lps. and anywhere from 8-10 fish (if possible).

i have the sump 30 gal i am building and the QT tank.

I want to get apex but at 800 buck a pop I think i have to wait till thanksgiving black friday.. anyone know how much the apex sell for on Black friday?

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Buy quality, do not purchase the less expensive parts for the reason that you will need a better part later.
Look on creiges list for some of your items like a tank and stand etc.you have the right plan of taking your time

OP
OP
R

reefguy565

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Buy quality, do not purchase the less expensive parts for the reason that you will need a better part later.
Look on creiges list for some of your items like a tank and stand etc.you have the right plan of taking your time
thanks Jsker i am doing a DIY tank stand and I am getting a new tank. I dont want to have to worry about blown glass, leaking seams, bad silicone on a used tank. I rather pay for a bit more for the tank but have less headaches. so to start other than the tank i just need umm well everything :( My feeling on CL people sell things that are pretty old or have issues. I am yet to find someone selling high end for a good deal.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My feeling on CL people sell things that are pretty old or have issues.
Not always the case in Reefing. We are always about the upgrade, trying new stuff, and sadly some just get out of the hobby.
I am yet to find someone selling high end for a good deal.
Look for local reef clubs, and also the used section right here on R2R.

IMO
By the strongest "Bones" you can. Skimmers and lights and such aren't foundation pieces, so there can be compromises there.

IMO, it a gamble. You could buy the best of the best, get one year in and HATE it all and the hobby. So invest what you feel appropriate, and prioritize the parts/budget accordingly.

Fishfinder

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why did you spend $140 on a qt? Not being mean. But on craigslist there are many small tanks for sale. I got a 30g for $20. If you're worried about cost skip the apex. Go with bare essentials. Black box LEDs and build most stuff yourself

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another thought is when you get ready to pull the trigger on a purchase, just post up what you are looking at and get members views.

OP
OP
R

reefguy565

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why did you spend $140 on a qt? Not being mean. But on craigslist there are many small tanks for sale. I got a 30g for $20. If you're worried about cost skip the apex. Go with bare essentials. Black box LEDs and build most stuff yourself
looked for weeks for a 30 gallon on CL and nothing. i bought tank for 65 bucks new, pump, lights, hood, heater, acrylic, socks, glue, etc etc.. all the little stuff adds up real fast.

cjd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can make this an expensive hobby or an inexpensive one. The choice is yours . I started 15 years ago with a 30 gallon , with hang on the back everything and did just fine. I have over $4,000 bucks invested in my new 75 build and I feel I only have better success due to my knowledge over those years not because of top of the line equipment . I have had over a thousand dollar skimmer on another system and I chose the aquamax for this build and wouldn't hesitate to buy this again. I've had red dragon pumps at 700 bucks fail and chose eheim or sicce in all my builds.
This hobby isn't cheap , but if you buy right and ask for reviews on equipment from real users it will save you a ton . You buy cheap you buy twice , but there is a middle ground.

OP
OP
R

reefguy565

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can make this an expensive hobby or an inexpensive one. The choice is yours . I started 15 years ago with a 30 gallon , with hang on the back everything and did just fine. I have over $4,000 bucks invested in my new 75 build and I feel I only have better success due to my knowledge over those years not because of top of the line equipment . I have had over a thousand dollar skimmer on another system and I chose the aquamax for this build and wouldn't hesitate to buy this again. I've had red dragon pumps at 700 bucks fail and chose eheim or sicce in all my builds.
This hobby isn't cheap , but if you buy right and ask for reviews on equipment from real users it will save you a ton . You buy cheap you buy twice , but there is a middle ground.
here is a list of what i want to buy to start:

tank will be deep blue 90 gal and i will drill it and use ghost overflow
DIY Stand
rock - undecided but probably pukani
eshopps s200 or maybe 300
sicce return pump
tunze power heads 6055
Tunze Osmolator
sb reef photon v2 48" ot current usa/t5 hybrid not sure yet

sump i have a 30 gal long.

cjd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
tank will be deep blue 90 gal and i will drill it and use ghost overflow ( My opinion of 90 gallon tanks... You get no added benefit of a taller tank , it has the same foot print of a 75 gallon , just taller. Since you are making the stand and will have the material anyway , I would seriously look at the 120 for the added 6 inches of depth )
DIY Stand ( Wish I had word working skills!!!!)
rock - undecided but probably pukani ( Know that this is very dirty rock , but makes great aquascaping and looks great)
eshopps s200 or maybe 300 ( Your choice , I would look at the Aquamaxx cone s Q2 , I believe its $100 cheaper and mine is a work horse , I would buy this again )
sicce return pump ( using this myself )
tunze power heads 6055 ( Its a Tunze , you know its good )
Tunze Osmolator ( See above )
sb reef photon v2 48" ot current usa/t5 hybrid not sure yet ( I am currently building a LED/T5 hybrid in a floating canopy , replica of the BRS 160 for my 75) ( I started my build with a 6 bulb ATI dimmable fixture coming back to T5 after having Aqua illumination Sol blues over a cube reef. Missed the shimmer of leds and thought I would try the reef breeders photon v2 . The disco ball effect was ridiculous , immediately I was not impressed. Lasted about a month and put back the ATI T5 . Still wanting the shimmer decided on the hybrid as was my original plan but didn't think I could wire my own retro fit T5 .....I can ...it was easy ! )

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.3%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.3%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 24 15.4%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 75 48.1%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 49 31.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%
Back