Noob Question about culturing copepods.

Yuki Rihwa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have read and research about keeping copepods but most setup are utilizing refugium, sump or a separate small aquarium. I don't have space to setup another aquarium and my tank setup don't have a sump. I'm using 2x canister filters so my question is that possible to culture copepods in my tank (tank is small 36 x 18 x 17? Would copepods getting suck in my filter and die in there? I have roughly 60 LBs Rocks in my tank. Thanks in advance.

beaslbob

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
one thing to do is to partition the tank so the back 3-4 inches is an in tank refugium. then add horizontal lights behind the tank for light up the chaeto. Just use a 1/4" square plastic grid egg crate for the partition.

pods with grow in there along with the macros.

my .02

johnzena

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They die from the media in your filter. You would have to remove the media for sure. I have read here how someone has used course sponge and rock rubble in their canister. If you remove the media and use soft floss and or course sponge, I have read its been done. Google this question. There are some answers to help you.

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Rikki Reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They die from the media in your filter. You would have to remove the media for sure. I have read here how someone has used course sponge and rock rubble in their canister. If you remove the media and use soft floss and or course sponge, I have read its been done. Google this question. There are some answers to help you.
you mention having 2 canisters what if you set one up with no media just live rock they will most likely use that as a hotel and If you dont have anything feeding off them yet? they should seed filter an tank. fill 1/3 filter with rock than add pods than fill with rock than prime and cross fingers GL . I find pods all over my tank and rescue the ones in sock lol

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Happy? Well if it works then it was a good investment. Riger now it is simply a $25.00 dollar plastic box.
I'm not asking about the pod box.

Have you been happy with your Red Sea "Reefer Nano"?
Thinking about buying one in January. :)

Tiger-Paws

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not asking about the pod box.

Have you been happy with your Red Sea "Reefer Nano"?
Thinking about buying one in January. :)
Ah! Sorry. Generally yes, except I should have purchased a Reefer 170 ;). I was very concerned about space limitations, I guessed wrong, I could have gone BIGGER, also I have seen some 60 gallon cube's with a sump and stand for less at one of the local LFS :(.

Look around and go as BIG as you can afford. In my build thread I pretty much laid out the cost of everything and where I purchased it, so you can use that as a general guide. https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/new-build-red-sea-reefer-nano-21.314556/

Overall I would purchase Red Sea again. That said my next tank will be from Reef Savy http://www.reefsavvy.com/ a custom designed and built tank and stand.

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Once copepods have been introduced into your system, they should reproduce. They most certainly come in on live rock. The question is do you have fish that will eat them. Some wrasses and certain gobies (mandarins) will reduce their abundance. Mandarins especially.

If you can't keep enough pods available and don't have a refugium or area I'm your sump as a safe zone for them to breed, then a separate culture is needed.

I just started a culture of tisbe's a couple days ago as a test. My intention is to go large scale at some point.

9413a0593322c76df0be58367fef4293.jpg

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a display refugium that I've seeded, as well as my display tank with pods. Right now, both tanks are fallow until mid october. I had 2 damsels in the refugium tank (yeah I know, it's a refuge but I wanted something of interest in there as it's in my office next to the DT). My plan is to take a plastic bottle or jar or glass bottle if my hubby can put holes in it, put some chaeto in it for a safe place and dump in more pods. Right now I can't add anything to the tanks, although I don't know if I'd have to qt chaeto. I have a canister filter also set up as the two tanks are not plumbed together yet. When they are, I plan to use rubble rock, and maybe sponges (not sure if filter floss is too fine) for a "pod hotel". I'm sure then I could harvest by taking some water out and adding to the Dt .

The main tank has so many I can see them crawling all over the sand and some really large amphipods. I'm fallow right now in both tanks and goal is to have a good population ready.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 17 7.8%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 38 17.4%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 146 67.0%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 5.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.8%
Back