Noob question about tanks and light (reef)

Frigideus

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Jun 2, 2025
Messages
125
Reaction score
54
Location
USA
What state or country do you live in
California
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't call myself 'new' to the hobby but the last time I had a tank was in 2010 so I might as well know nothing about owning one. A good portion of my knowledge originates from what I can read on the internet. I've been interested in this hobby for over 15 years now, so I know a little bit about fish and corals, but unfortunately know almost nothing about the gear involved.

My first tank was a 100G fish-only tank with few inhabitants, so I just want to ask a few simple questions regarding reef aquarium brands and lighting.


What do people think of the following brands/tank manufacturers? How is their reputation?

-Waterbox
-UNS
-Glasscages (custom)



Also, what lighting would be suitable for a 120-gallon mixed reef (LPS/Softies)? How many am I looking to buy?


Any help is much appreciated :)
 
A lot of people on here have waterbox tanks and glasscage tanks. Waterbox I have heard good things about (do not own one personally). Joe from Glass Cage does an excellent job with custom tanks. You can also look into Eshopp Mariners. I have seen those in person, and those are well built tanks
 
Welcome to Reef2Reef!

I'd add Innovative Marine to your tank list as well :-)
 
Last edited:
Glass Cages is the way I'm going when I launch.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 9 5.5%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 11 6.7%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 27 16.4%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 57 34.5%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 2 1.2%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 11 6.7%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 11 6.7%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 25 15.2%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 12 7.3%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new