Noobie with a Biocube

BlackFish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all! Noob here, I just got a new Coralife Biocube 29. I'm going to do minor upgrades for now, as in upgrading the pump, adding a protein skimmer(not the cheap Coralife one), removing the bio balls and replacing them with a media basket and refugium. I'm keeping the stock 10k white/actinic fluorescents lights until I save up money to upgrade to LED. So my question is what corals would I be able to keep under the stock lights? And any suggestions on media?
Thanks for the advice.

Retro Reefer

Slow and steady wins the race!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to the forum.. I have a BC 14 stock with coralife upgrades, skimmer and UV running stock lighting.. I have insane coral growth so stock system will work just fine, I am upgrading to LED's because of heat and cost of PC bulb replacement in the next couple weeks.

OP
OP
BlackFish

BlackFish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to the forum.. I have a BC 14 stock with coralife upgrades, skimmer and UV running stock lighting.. I have insane coral growth so stock system will work just fine, I am upgrading to LED's because of heat and cost of PC bulb replacement in the next couple weeks.

What corals are you keeping? Heat is also a reason I want to upgrade. What LEDs are you going to get?

Retro Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What corals are you keeping? Heat is also a reason I want to upgrade. What LEDs are you going to get?

I have everything.. SPS, LPS, softy's, Zoa's you name it.. lol. Going with nanobox retro for LED's

image.jpeg

Retro Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, looks nice. I'm glade to see the success with the stock lights. Did you buy the extra plug-in LED strips for the stock hood?

Yes the picture is just with the led's on.. The PC's really wash out the colors and makes getting a good picture from my iPad hard

kireek

PLANESWALKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
*Welcome to Reef2Reef @BlackFish !* I like @Retro Reefer 's style.If it was my system I would try it all.In the beginning...I would go with zoas and some hardier LPS.I would suggest Candy Canes,favites or a inexpensive chalice.

DSCF4368_zpsvenfdh7k.jpg

A shot from my sump.All these are growing under warm lighting.I don't know the specifics,but it's yellow!

kireek

PLANESWALKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh,right.I just got corals on my mind.I would use small pieces of rubble,carbon and then product Purigen when things get more established.

Retro Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any suggestions on what media to use?

I use activated carbon, a nitrate removal block and phosguard in the second chamber.. on top of that I have a poly filter topped with floss that I change out every few day as a pre filters..

helen ann

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!! I am a member of the Biocube 29 club!!! ;)

pdt7361

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello and welcome. For my media basket I use filter filter floss, purigen, and chemi-pure (top down order) and then have cheato in my fuge basket.
Before I upgraded to LEDs I was keeping the hardier LPS...a duncan, frogspawn, and zoas. Since then I have some nice dendros, cup coral, blastos, and my nice flower pot.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 6.5%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 4.1%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.1%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 99 80.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.9%
Back