Noobie with a Biocube

  • Thread starter Thread starter BlackFish
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

BlackFish

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Mar 18, 2016
Messages
89
Reaction score
60
Location
So cal
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all! Noob here, I just got a new Coralife Biocube 29. I'm going to do minor upgrades for now, as in upgrading the pump, adding a protein skimmer(not the cheap Coralife one), removing the bio balls and replacing them with a media basket and refugium. I'm keeping the stock 10k white/actinic fluorescents lights until I save up money to upgrade to LED. So my question is what corals would I be able to keep under the stock lights? And any suggestions on media?
Thanks for the advice.
 
Welcome to the forum.. I have a BC 14 stock with coralife upgrades, skimmer and UV running stock lighting.. I have insane coral growth so stock system will work just fine, I am upgrading to LED's because of heat and cost of PC bulb replacement in the next couple weeks.
 
Welcome to the forum.. I have a BC 14 stock with coralife upgrades, skimmer and UV running stock lighting.. I have insane coral growth so stock system will work just fine, I am upgrading to LED's because of heat and cost of PC bulb replacement in the next couple weeks.

What corals are you keeping? Heat is also a reason I want to upgrade. What LEDs are you going to get?
 
What corals are you keeping? Heat is also a reason I want to upgrade. What LEDs are you going to get?

I have everything.. SPS, LPS, softy's, Zoa's you name it.. lol. Going with nanobox retro for LED's

image.jpeg
 
Welcome to R2R;)
 
Wow, looks nice. I'm glade to see the success with the stock lights. Did you buy the extra plug-in LED strips for the stock hood?

Yes the picture is just with the led's on.. The PC's really wash out the colors and makes getting a good picture from my iPad hard
 
*Welcome to Reef2Reef @BlackFish !* I like @Retro Reefer 's style.If it was my system I would try it all.In the beginning...I would go with zoas and some hardier LPS.I would suggest Candy Canes,favites or a inexpensive chalice.

DSCF4368_zpsvenfdh7k.jpg

A shot from my sump.All these are growing under warm lighting.I don't know the specifics,but it's yellow!
 
Oh,right.I just got corals on my mind.I would use small pieces of rubble,carbon and then product Purigen when things get more established.
 
Any suggestions on what media to use?

I use activated carbon, a nitrate removal block and phosguard in the second chamber.. on top of that I have a poly filter topped with floss that I change out every few day as a pre filters..
 
Welcome to R2R!! I am a member of the Biocube 29 club!!! ;)
 
Hello and welcome. For my media basket I use filter filter floss, purigen, and chemi-pure (top down order) and then have cheato in my fuge basket.
Before I upgraded to LEDs I was keeping the hardier LPS...a duncan, frogspawn, and zoas. Since then I have some nice dendros, cup coral, blastos, and my nice flower pot.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 5 27.8%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 9 50.0%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 1 5.6%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 5 27.8%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 2 11.1%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 9 50.0%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 6 33.3%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 3 16.7%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new