Noopsyche Helpful Reefer Giveaway! Win a K7 Pro II LED Reef Light!!

Alan_J_MN

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Best advice is the most common one.. nothing good happens fast. Close second is do your research. We have such a wealth of information on this forum. Use it....(wisely).

bsr2430

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s my tip for noobs, if you buy coral, always dip it first!!

Think if you had a 100% pest free tank, and you just introduced a freaking pest.... it’s much harder to get rid of it or them when you could’ve taken the twenty extra minutes and dipping your coral.

olive'sreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Choose a tank that fits your lifestyle. Bigger is not always better! Nano reefs can be cheaper and much less complex than larger systems. You don't always need equipment like media reactors and skimmers with nano tanks, they can be run with filter floss and a wavemaker.

olive'sreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bonus 4: Visited the website and the thing I like most are the customer submitted tank photos.

saturn13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Official Entry: My best advice to anyone is to understand the cost and commitment to this hobby. It's more exspensive than many understand off the bat, and usually you need something immediately like a test kit or back up heater that can't wait, because if you do it may be doom and gloom for your tank and inhabitants.

Marlon_Holland

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The best advice I have gotten was you get what you pay for and the most expensive thing is not always the best. Also I learned that pickling lime makes for great kalkwasser.

danieyella

unfriendly local swamp witch
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Official entry: Best tip -- don't chase a number, if your tank is stable and your corals are happy - but your "XYZ" is higher than the internet says it should be, don't stress. But on that note, don't forget to test to track levels and ensure stability. I found an excel spreadsheet I can plug values into with the date to track trends.

dragon99

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tip: Never leave the room with any liquid running that doesn't automatically shutoff.

This mostly applies to water for RO/DI, but I have had mishaps with pumping water into the tank, out of tank, using a dosing pump, etc you name it I've probably forgotten it and let it overflow or run dry. I always tell my self, oh I won't forget this and I'll be right back....

ReefJCB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Official entry:
Pre. Plan. Your. Plumbing!

As you are getting it to the hobby you probably are not planning on reactors, UV filters, etc. But you likely will want them later. Make sure to plan your plumbing to accommodate easily adding them later.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 20.5%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 76 34.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 73 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 21 9.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.3%
Back