Noopsyche K7 V3 on Monster tank

mehaffydr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am planning on a lighting upgrade on my tank. The main concerns are Power consumption, Heat and ability of the light on a mixed reef. I'm currently using 250 watt MH and T5. My tank is approx 1100 gallons 5' x 10' x 36" deep. Of course I can put SPS up higher in the tank so that they are only about 24" deep if needed. Just wanted to ask about 2 things. How well will these light work on the 36" deep tank and what is the recommended spread. Trying to decide on how many it will take for the 5' x 10' surface area?
Will these lights fit the bill and grow corals in my tank

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I am planning on a lighting upgrade on my tank. The main concerns are Power consumption, Heat and ability of the light on a mixed reef. I'm currently using 250 watt MH and T5. My tank is approx 1100 gallons 5' x 10' x 36" deep. Of course I can put SPS up higher in the tank so that they are only about 24" deep if needed. Just wanted to ask about 2 things. How well will these light work on the 36" deep tank and what is the recommended spread. Trying to decide on how many it will take for the 5' x 10' surface area?
I find their penetration is very good not to mention the amount of shimmer they produce
For the cost, should work well

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The 5' width is a unique challenge that most of us haven't dealt with, especially most LED users.

The spread will be somewhere in the 20-24 inch range, give or take. I would estimate a fixture every 2 feet in 2-3 rows...so 10-15 fixtures. Another way to look at it would be square footage. 50 square feet footprint with each light covering 20x24" or so. It may take more if you are full of sticks and don't want shadowing.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My typical advice for larger tanks is twofold. First, even though others mean well, look to people who actually solved this problem instead of people with smaller tanks that assume that what they do will scale - as you know, it does not. Second, reflectors are your friend to cover large areas.

In the end, no matter what you choose, you will be using the same electricity, so just think about ongoing costs (bulbs vs 5 year replacement of most LED panels (maybe less with cheaper units)) and what you like to use and look at. You might start with less, but you will likely end with the same. Also, you can use different wattage lights over rockwork and less over open areas to be more efficient. A 400w MH over an area where you want lots of acropora is not too much more energy and you do not have to use that much everywhere else. I was planning a 16x4x4 tank with three main islands and about a 4' open space between two of them and I was only going to put MH over the rock islands. Not being uniform can save a lot of energy and stuff.

For an example, on a large tank, Dr. Joshi used 10x Radion xr30s to replace 3x MH for coverage and output. He has written about it a lot. No power savings to do the same thing... but he did it for other reasons.

It is no secret that I use MH for my larger tanks. If somebody made me use LED, it would likely be Photon V2 since they are powerful and cover larger areas.

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my mind it seems obvious that lighting a tank 5 x 10 feet is the same as lighting 5 tanks 2 x 5 feet and enough of these would do it easily. I would start with 15. I have 4 on a 6 foot tank 9 inches over the tank.
I have no idea on the depth though.
There are LEDs made for larger tanks that might better suit your needs like the Orphek Amazonas
orphek_amazonas_320.jpeg

Just something I have skim read in my net travels so I dont know the details.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I for large tank personally use all orphek- combination of Atlantiks and OR3 bars

noopsyche

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
as @WVNed said start with 15 unit. The best for your tank is to be able to reach 18, the arrangement is 3X6. like i answered you in inbox :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

OP
OP
mehaffydr

mehaffydr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I did purchase 18 of the Noopsyche lights and they were delivered today. The packaging was good lights look good and the service was great. Good constant communication. They shipped the day after I ordered and took less than a week to get here.
I will be building a light rack over the next couple of days and I will post up some pics when there hanging.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 32 29.9%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 28 26.2%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 24 22.4%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 23 21.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back