NoPox and Canister media

Bryant Day

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,
Been using NoPox for about 6 weeks. I have a 55 gal, Reef Octopus HOB, and canister. I have searched the posts looking for a recommendation on media to use in the canister. Presently I am using Carbon, and Matrix, three trays are empty. Any recommendations to add / change?
Best

CodyRVA

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get a small media reactor for your carbon, you'll get much more mileage out of it and it will be much more efficient. Consider using marine pure or sintered glass media, i recommend sintered glass. Make your canister as efficient as possible... bottom tray should have one large coarse filter pad, two layers of felt in the tray above that one and the remaining trays stocked with biological media.

OP
OP
Bryant Day

Bryant Day

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Randy and Cody thanks. Will look into both. But just to make sure I understand...GFO and GAC are okay w/ NoPox.

CodyRVA

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
GAC shouldn't have an adverse affect. GFO will lower PO4, so using it with NoPox may reduce your PO4 too low or even to undetectable levels. You just want to make sure you don't strip your system. I've never used NoPox, i run very small amounts of GFO and bio pellets.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Randy and Cody thanks. Will look into both. But just to make sure I understand...GFO and GAC are okay w/ NoPox.

Yes, and are often a good idea, IMO. I used vinegar dosing, GAC, and GFO together for years.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back