Noremac's 90gallon build

Noremac

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys,
I am trying to get started in the hobby, and collecting equipment to get a 90gallon reef-ready DT, and 55 gallon sump set up and running.

Currently, I am building the stand, and waiting on the DT to get here, it was ordered last week, and I hope to have it this week sometime. This will be a coral and fish display.

Equipment I have currently:
55gallon sump tank (still need to install baffles)
Jebao RW-8 powerhead (will add another smaller one as needed)
SCA-302 in-sump protein skimmer
Mag 9.5 return pump
Testing equipment including refractometer and red sea master kit
60lbs of instant ocean sea salt

Am I missing anything other than substrate and rock? Eventually, I will add an auto-top-off system, but want to get it up and running first.

Pictures so far. Using the 55 gallon for width dimensions, plus half an inch as a safety factor. I still have a little bit to do structurally before making it pretty, but as it stands, It holds my 270lb self jumping on it. (took a lot of courage to try lol!)
20150402_211039.jpg

20150405_213554.jpg

20150405_213603.jpg

20150405_213616.jpg

20150405_213610.jpg

I still have no clue on how to aquascape the tank, and what corals and fish work well with each other, but I know I have to have at least one nem, several clown fish, and a blue tang or two (my kids love nemo go figure)

Last edited by a moderator:

Paul87

Fellow Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R! Looks like a good start! The stand looks solid. Have any ideas for lighting yet?

OP
OP
Noremac

Noremac

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought about the lights after I posted.. seems that this forum does not allow edits. Oh well. I am looking at two of the full spectrum 165w led lights off ebay. Seems like a lot of people have had good success with them.

The stand is probably way over built. I did not want it going anywhere seeing as there will be in upwards of 700lbs sitting on top of it. It is much more heavy duty than any stand I have found at the local fish stores.

OP
OP
Noremac

Noremac

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, The tank that I had ordered was placed on backorder, so the local fish store I am starting to work with upgraded it to a 90gallon for the same money. It should be here towards the end of the week.. My sump is complete, and all equipment is running correctly. I still need to get lights, but cycling should be able to begin this coming weekend..

20150408_065024.jpg

20150411_222940.jpg

20150412_123952.jpg

20150412_190559.jpg

curious cat... still hasnt figured out what is going on with the tank. I also tried my hand at hitting the correct salt mixture. I over-shot it, and it is sitting at about 1.030 salinity.. thats where the cloudiness is from
20150412_190639.jpg

SeahorseKeeper

Where's the mysis?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good! I hope the tank will be cat proof! Cute cat! :)

OP
OP
Noremac

Noremac

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks!, yeah, it will have a canopy over the display tank, and the stand will be boxed in and made to be pretty. I have hand built furniture all over the house, and it will be made to match. I am hoping to have a call about my tank today.

OP
OP
Noremac

Noremac

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is in, I will go pick it up after work.
(2) Ebay 165W led lights are on order. should be here later this week
(1) Ebay special el cheapo led clamp on light is ordered for the refugium. probably be here early next month. If that doesnt work well with growing chaeto, will a desk lamp with an incandescent bulb grow it?
Aragonite sand (90lbs dry, 10lbs live) is sitting at the house
50lbs of base rock shipped today, so it should be here later this week or early next.
Local tank owner is going to give me some live rock rubble to seed the base rock.
Sump is functional and leak free.
Looks like tomorrow night I will get to start plumbing the lines down to the sump, and probably start filling the DT Thursday. Hopefully, cycling will start Saturday night

OP
OP
Noremac

Noremac

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also had an idea about the ATO system last night. I work in a parts store, and have access to windshield washer pumps. these run on 12 volts, very low amps. Im thinking about reverse engineering one of these into the pump for this system. Has anyone seen anything like this?

In an automotive setting, these pumps push the washer fluid through at least 6-8 feet of tubing before reaching the nozzles with moderate pressure. I dont see why they wont work with ~10 feet of 1/4 pex and a low voltage float switch

OP
OP
Noremac

Noremac

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got the 90 gallon tank in, along with the sand (90lbs dry aragonite, 10lbs "live" sand). I got the sump plumbed up last night with the exception of screwing up on a threaded union. I glued it in without putting the threaded collar on the pipe first, so I cut it off, and have to get a new fitting today. But, I was able to leak check a few things, and all looks good.. now to start making enough water to fill the tank up.
20150420_221321.jpg

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Looking good!

Shep

Acan Connoisseur
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks really good so far! I would caution aganist more than 2 clown fish, things can get ugly when that happens! If you are doing tangs you might want to try and leave lots of room for them to swim around. Can't wait to see this filled!

OP
OP
Noremac

Noremac

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have read that about the clowns Shep. Since then I think I have come up with a decent list of fish. I am also planning on keeping a large swimming area, or depending on the base rock I get, keeping the base rock low, and having the upper half of the tank for swimming area. The rock should be here today, so once the tank gets some water in it, I can start playing with the aquascape.
Preference in the order from high to low.
clownfish, blue tang, fox face, butterfly, yellow tang, cardinal, wrasse, blenny(havent read much on these).

Corals will be added as frags. an anemone will be a requirement, but will try hold off for 6 months or so, so the tank can age. I love the look of the blue maxima clams. Might have to find one of those some day. Zoa's are planned, but in an area where they cant take over the entire aquascape.Any advise would be greatly appreciated

OP
OP
Noremac

Noremac

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Plumbing was finished, and started filling the tank. I overshot the salt content, so have to address that. It is currently sitting at 1.027. Everything is up and running as of saturday afternoon. I still have to hang the lights until i have the free time to build a canopy and make the stand pretty.

FB_IMG_1429928338837.jpg

20150426_080104.jpg

20150425_174251.jpg

The tank is 100% clear now, the salt mix and sand was the issue with the cloudiness. My daughter is going to help with the upkeep of the tank. she seems extremely interested, so we will see in the coming months

OP
OP
Noremac

Noremac

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a better look into the tank..

20150428_064035.jpg

20150428_064053.jpg

Im going to do a water change this afternoon and try to get the salt content down. once its down, I will add the live sand, and some ammonia, and try to get the cycle started.

OP
OP
Noremac

Noremac

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys. I do need more rock.. The other corner just looks bare.

I got the salinity levels set at 1.025, marked my sump return for the water level, and threw in the "live" sand. I have my doubts whether it is actually live. the ammonia levels shot up when I put it in, which tells me there was a lot of dead stuff in it. Either way, I am going to pick up some fresh shrimp from the local market to give the tank a true ammonia source.

I am going to start on the canopy tomorrow. I have a rough idea on how it will be designed.... everything I build is produced out of thin air, I rarely sketch or draw out anything. The main skeleton of the stand is off less than 1/32 of an inch from left to right, and front to back... on carpet :bigsmile:

OP
OP
Noremac

Noremac

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, btw, whats the best way of attaching a background? I really dont want to tape it if there is a better way.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 67 35.4%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 25.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 60 31.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.2%
Back