Nori all over my tank

Chris Van Daele

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

Just wondering if anyone has the same issue as me. I feed Nori on a clip twice a day to my fish who seem to be messy eaters. Pieces of it end up all over the place and unless I do a water change it can get everywhere. I do have a goby that sifts through the sand but he doesn’t come close to keeping up. wondering if anyone has experienced similar issues?

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That seems like a lot of nori. What fish are you feeding that to? I have tangs and a foxface and they only get 1 sheet per week, maybe every other week. I mainly feed frozen mysis along with a few other frozen foods.

Auquanut

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Totally agree with @Hemmdog. I have 3 tangs and a foxface in my 125. They get about a quarter sheet of nori every few days. They have a job to do. When I see them pecking at the rocks and glass, I know they are earning their keep. If I fed them that much nori, I'm sure they would have no interest in common aquarium algae.

BigHildy53

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What type of pouch are you referring to?
Two Little Fishies Pouch Feeder

sarcophytonIndy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed my tangs one sheet of nori daily. I roll the sheet into a tight cylinder/cigar shape and then zip-tie it to a rock, and drop the rock on the sand. They attack it, but it takes them a while (hours) to finish it off.

Goodair

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Foxface would be very messy and some pieces of nori would always get stuck in powerheads, causing more cleaning. Don't have him anymore and cleaning is nowhere near the same as before, lol.

Folding it tightly does help alot though.

boacvh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use one of these
I had same issue when using a clip, after two pulls the nori would be all over my tank. I also got one of these listed above and problem solved.

Greg P

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a couple Two Little Fishies Veggie Mags - 1 for green and 1 for purple nori.
I tear the sheets into 3x3" squares and they get 1 square of each at a time, folded a couple times so it stays on the clip as they tear small bits off.

NanoDJS

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That seems like a lot of Nori - Hemmdog. ya think ? I am cracking up right now ! I would suggest grabbing a tuft like 1" and a few layers , and hand feed them once a day if your feeling nice as a snack like AZMSGT said. No more than 5 mins worth if its a normal sized or newer (less than 2 yrs old ) system ,grab it tight exposing like lil edge to prevent big peices flying around when they bite off it , then chuck the uneaten blob from the grip it this will help out alot. I overfed like a madman in the beginning , battled all that came with it. At least your asking , took me forever to get my seawaeed game down dang fish corals are so much easier , yuk swamptank.

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed 2 sheets a day. They are waiting because I haven't put it in yet.
IMG_1889-L.jpg

I just fold it 3 times and stick it in the clip.

Now I did
IMG_1891-X2.jpg

Last edited:

Bossman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed nori every other day. My tangs, blennies, triggers and most of my wrasse's (including cleaner) eat the nori. It's good for the fish and not all of these eat algae in the tank.

Like was said, after folding into a small square, cut the nori in strips. Helps to keep large pieces from floating around or plugging your overflow.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 110 43.5%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 85 33.6%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 41 16.2%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 13 5.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.6%
Back