Normal Midas Blenny behavior?

tippytango

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now, I know that there is little universal “normal” in the reef world! I just want to know if my Midas blenny is ok and content in my tank…

I have a 20 gallon IM nuvo fusion (I know this might be a tad too small for a Midas blenny)
I have dreams of eventually getting a larger tank but I don’t know when.

I have 2 clowns, 2 bubble tip anemones, and various corals. Everything is doing well.

So, my clowns and my Midas blenny are all buddies. They have formed a cute little trio. The blenny let’s the clowns lay in his/her cave and valley she has dug. They all swim together and huddle together when scared.
My concern is she sometimes gets these spurts of energy and appears to try to escape the tank. Kind of swimming into the walls and near the surface of the water. Aside from that, she usually just lays in the sand in a valley she dug. Or swims around with the clowns, looking for food I assume.

After learning that all Midas blennies are wild caught, she often just makes me sad... Knowing she was plucked from her wild environment. Poor thing.
I sometimes contemplate searching for someone with a very large tank to rehome her to :( but I really don’t want to. I just don’t want to keep her trapped in a small tank if it makes her sad/stressed.

She only turns brown if I’m in the tank doing maintenance. And she eats great/loves food.
Also, she only stays on 1 side of the tank. She basically never ventures to the opposite side. Which I think is weird!

So, what are your thoughts? Any input is much appreciated! Thank you!

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Midas blenny has one specific place on my rock. He will perch there then swim up to the surface of the water and make several laps around around tank. Then right back to his rock. Just from the description the behavior sounds fairly normal to me.

Sabellafella

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Now, I know that there is little universal “normal” in the reef world! I just want to know if my Midas blenny is ok and content in my tank…

I have a 20 gallon IM nuvo fusion (I know this might be a tad too small for a Midas blenny)
I have dreams of eventually getting a larger tank but I don’t know when.

I have 2 clowns, 2 bubble tip anemones, and various corals. Everything is doing well.

So, my clowns and my Midas blenny are all buddies. They have formed a cute little trio. The blenny let’s the clowns lay in his/her cave and valley she has dug. They all swim together and huddle together when scared.
My concern is she sometimes gets these spurts of energy and appears to try to escape the tank. Kind of swimming into the walls and near the surface of the water. Aside from that, she usually just lays in the sand in a valley she dug. Or swims around with the clowns, looking for food I assume.

After learning that all Midas blennies are wild caught, she often just makes me sad... Knowing she was plucked from her wild environment. Poor thing.
I sometimes contemplate searching for someone with a very large tank to rehome her to :( but I really don’t want to. I just don’t want to keep her trapped in a small tank if it makes her sad/stressed.

She only turns brown if I’m in the tank doing maintenance. And she eats great/loves food.
Also, she only stays on 1 side of the tank. She basically never ventures to the opposite side. Which I think is weird!

So, what are your thoughts? Any input is much appreciated! Thank you!
Believe it or not a midas blenny can change to pink with its yellow to blend in with some species of anthias. Nearly all fish can drown out some coloration in the mist of a threat being present. They're personally is super funny and clumsy, I think anything goes, with their behavior =)

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 17 38.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 27.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 8 18.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 7 15.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back