Normal Tang behavior?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Although some fish enjoy being in the current, this behavior also suggest velvet or other class of irritation . Flukes are even a possibility and can be resolved with a simple freshwater dip for 5 mins (same temperature as display tank)

OP
OP
Onewolf

Onewolf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Although some fish enjoy being in the current, this behavior also suggest velvet or other class of irritation . Flukes are even a possibility and can be resolved with a simple freshwater dip for 5 mins (same temperature as display tank)

I would be willing to try a freshwater dip. Getting the Tang out of the tank seems like it will be nearly impossible. I guess it's time to start researching fish traps.

OP
OP
Onewolf

Onewolf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would be willing to try a freshwater dip. Getting the Tang out of the tank seems like it will be nearly impossible. I guess it's time to start researching fish traps.

In what appears to be a Festivus Miracle, I was able to net the Tang out of the 90 gal without touching any coral. I guess 6 years of practice with FW Angels, Tetras, and Loaches paid off. I did a 5 minute dip in RODI freshwater and then placed the Tang in the 20H QT I have been putting together. Any recommendations on what/if I should dose in the QT? I have Cupramine, and Metroplex if either of those would be appropriate.

Thanks for the advice so far.

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not loving that swimming action - the respiration rate is a little bit elevated, but as the tang swims, it seems a bit "off". I can't tell you what it could be based on just that observation though.....

Jay
Fully agree with your observation. I would suggest a fresh water dip to eliminate flukes, would you feel the same action as well Jay Hemdal? Maybe even a dip in Methylene Blue and fresh water?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
In what appears to be a Festivus Miracle, I was able to net the Tang out of the 90 gal without touching any coral. I guess 6 years of practice with FW Angels, Tetras, and Loaches paid off. I did a 5 minute dip in RODI freshwater and then placed the Tang in the 20H QT I have been putting together. Any recommendations on what/if I should dose in the QT? I have Cupramine, and Metroplex if either of those would be appropriate.

Thanks for the advice so far.
Copper safe or ruby rally reef

OP
OP
Onewolf

Onewolf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Copper safe or ruby rally reef

I don't have either of those in hand. I only have Cupramine, Metroplex, and Paraguard. I can try to find Copper Safe tomorrow.

Since I will be out shopping tomorrow, are there any other marine fish treatments I should have around for "hospital tank" purposes?

Thanks.

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm on board with what has been posted here. And that it is hanging out in the corner by the powerhead isn't a good sign.

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There have been other fish in the tank for 14+ months.

This Tang was the last fish added, 9 days ago.

The other fish are all behaving normally so far.

I'd guess that it is likely the fish was diseased when it was introduced to the tank.

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a video of my Bristletooth Tang on day 9 since he was introduced into the 90 gal tank (48x18x24). He spends a LOT of time in the front left corner next to a powerhead. Occasionally he will make a full sweep of the tank and sometimes he wanders around chomping on the rock or sand floor. He currently eats seaweed sheets and Masstick, but he does not seem to eat any of the frozen foods (Reef Frenzy, PE Mysis, Brine shrimp) that I feed the other fish.

The other fish in the tank are: 2 Ocellaris Clowns, Midas Blenny, and an Arc Eye Hawkfish. The tang is at least 3-4X larger then any of the other fish and the other fish completely ignore him. I am wondering if this is part of the 'normal' Tang tank acclimation process or he is abnormally neurotic. I really hope he chills out and uses more of the tank.

Kinda looks like he’s attacking his reflection in the glass.
This is very normal for a new tang.
Turn off the lights, see if he stops.

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd be curious to know if he follows the powerhead. If you slide the powerhead to the back corner, will he follow the powerhead to the new location?

In my mind, this would confirm that the fish is trying to increase flow over its gills.

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Unfortunately, you now have to work under the assumption that ALL fish are infected. If this does turn out to be velvet, the infected fish has been in the tank for 9 days. I'm sure other fish will start to exhibit symptoms.

OP
OP
Onewolf

Onewolf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Currently the Tang is in the hospital tank and is alive but appears rather unhappy. I would be unhappy if I was dumped in freshwater and then moved from a 90 reef to a spartan 20. The hospital tank is a 20H with a HOB filter and bubble/sponge filter in the tank. I cut a 4"x4"x2" section off the filter sponge from the main/established tank and placed it in the HOB on the hospital tank to help seed a biologic filter.

At this point what is my best strategy? Should I preemptively be treating to hospital tank even though the Tang is not showing any signs that I can see of any issues? (Other than being terrified of his new surroundings). Or should I simply observe the Tang and see if anything obvious crops up?

Thanks.

And again, what medications/treatments should I have on hand for 'hospital' tank treatments going forward? Is there a sticky/article here on R2R that documents this list?

OP
OP
Onewolf

Onewolf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did not notice any head twitching, flashing, scratching, etc while in the main tank. The only anomaly I saw was spending a lot of time swimming in that one corner. He was eating seaweed sheets and Masstick.

Now that he's in the hospital tank he's just sitting on the bottom or moving slowly amongst the PVC elbows. No head twitching/shaking/etc.

jaganshi066

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If he has velvet, do fish usually last this long? My flameback was doing the same thing a couple of weeks back. Right before bed he would go towards the powerhead and swim erratically but throughout the day he’s normal

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should be treating all of your fish, not just a tank
Currently the Tang is in the hospital tank and is alive but appears rather unhappy. I would be unhappy if I was dumped in freshwater and then moved from a 90 reef to a spartan 20. The hospital tank is a 20H with a HOB filter and bubble/sponge filter in the tank. I cut a 4"x4"x2" section off the filter sponge from the main/established tank and placed it in the HOB on the hospital tank to help seed a biologic filter.

At this point what is my best strategy? Should I preemptively be treating to hospital tank even though the Tang is not showing any signs that I can see of any issues? (Other than being terrified of his new surroundings). Or should I simply observe the Tang and see if anything obvious crops up?

Thanks.

And again, what medications/treatments should I have on hand for 'hospital' tank treatments going forward? Is there a sticky/article here on R2R that documents this list?
You should be treating all of your fish, not just the tang.

We suspect disease is the problem with the tang. That Tang was in your display tank for nine days.

If it is infected, it was infected in the display tank for nine days likely passing along any infection to other inhabitants in the tank.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tangs behavior is odd but it is eating and I probably would not pull other fish out till you get a diagnosis or see how the Tang recovers.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 14.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 16.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 67 56.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 6.7%
Back