North Alabama: What would you want in an LFS?

GWHouston

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At this rate I would drive from Nashville to northern Alabama if your store is a good as I think it will turn out to be!

I hope this wasn’t Aquatic Critter. I’ve found them to be very helpful. But you can bet your sweet bottom that dantimdad will have my visits WHEN he opens.

ccombs

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hope this wasn’t Aquatic Critter. I’ve found them to be very helpful. But you can bet your sweet bottom that dantimdad will have my visits WHEN he opens.
The store will remain unnamed lol.

Aquatic Critter has been great for the most part, I am not a huge fan of their fish selection, but they are pretty good.

I have been very impressed with Oceanside Aquariums that is a little further north of Nashville. They are a smaller operation, but they always have a good variety of more unusual fish and varieties not normally seen. The owner is super helpful and the good part about being a smaller store is that I can go in and chat with him one on one. They don't have the best selection of equipment, but for fish I have made them my main choice.

OP
OP
dantimdad

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am excited that you all are excited.

We will do everything in our power to create a store you look forward to visiting and hanging out in.

I just wish it was sooner. It will be coming!

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How about a DIY room with a large selection of PVC pipes, fittings and valves. Someone buys a tank from you and they can do their plumbing work there under your guidance. No more 5 trips to Lowe's or 3 orders from Amazon.
Could also help people do DIY screen tops, rental tank drilling (they rent the equipment and take responsibility for a crack), maybe a small collection of LED's and drivers. Maybe partner with a glass shop or one of the online DIY acrylic sump divider manufacturer and let people do caulking there.

OP
OP
dantimdad

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No power tools. Too much liability.

We will offer bits and drilling demos once a month.

Screen tops will be available in kit form and free instructions. I will have 3d printed corners available for different type setups and two different colors of screen.

Good ideas, keep em coming! This is where you will want to shop so your input is valuable.

aslmx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How about worker fish that you can lease out?
File Fish for aptasia
Malanurus wrasse for flat worms
Some kind of big angel fish to come beat up other fish like a certain yellow tang that kills your small file fish that you just gave 40 freakin dollars for.

GWHouston

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How about worker fish that you can lease out?
File Fish for aptasia
Malanurus wrasse for flat worms
Some kind of big angel fish to come beat up other fish like a certain yellow tang that kills your small file fish that you just gave 40 freakin dollars for.

Contract killer?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 17.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 4 4.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 16 17.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 50 53.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 8.5%
Back