North America's Highest Reef Tank

mav1ms

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been meaning to do this since joining. Here's my build thread for my reef tank that sits at 10,200 feet high in the Rocky Mountains in Leadville, Colorado. My tank is actually about 12 months old and it sit's in my home office looking out at Mount Elbert (left in the picture) and Mount Massive (right) the two highest peaks in all of the Rockies. I wanted to consolidate my pictures and document my reef tank. Prior to this tank I had always had fresh water tanks.

Living at 10,200 feet has some definite advantages such as the water, while not completely pure, I do not have many of the challenges that a lot of folks have with metals, chemicals and such in our water. Our water is from a well 500 feet beneath us. I do use an RODI system; however, just in case something were ever to be introduced.

Another advantage (or maybe disadvantage to some) is that our average summer high temperature here in Leadville is around 71F. That does mean my heaters do run; however we have sunshine on average 310 days a year (one of the best kept secrets of Colorado) so the solar warming for the house keeps it relatively consistent. I spend about ~$7 on average/month on electricity for my heaters with an overall monthly spend on power at around $12/month.

I welcome any suggestions, comments, thoughts on my build. Thanks for checking it out!

20180211_081404-1.jpg

Here are the stats for my tank:
175 Gallon total volume - 135 gallon tank (72.5x18x24) and 40 gallon custom Trigger Systems Sump w/Refugium
Controller: Neptune Apex with Neptune ATK
Dosing: BRS Dosers, Ca and Alk
RODI: Kent Marine 4-stage
Skimmer: Reef Octopus 150int
Return Pump: Reef Octopus Various S-8 (2700gph)
Sand: DSB 5-6" on average
Rock: BRS Pukani ~140lbs (between tank and sump)
Lights: Sbreeflights sBox Extreme 32 (x2)
Salt: HW Marine
Overflow: H2overflow (tank was not reef ready, I drilled the tank, replaced the bottom glass with 1/2" tempered glass. H2overflow and return can be seen in the pics)
Powerhead: 2x XF250 Gyre's
Heaters: 2x 500W Finnex TH Deluxe Titanium with Plastic Guard

Last edited:
OP
OP
mav1ms

mav1ms

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Picture of the tank with the original stand and then the new stand. While the sump fit, I just didn't have a lot of room to work and I hated the configuration of the doors. I also didn't care for the height of the stand. It was only at about 24". My custom stand is around 36" high with only two, very wide doors. It makes it much easier to work underneath.
20161209_171228179_iOS.jpg

WP_20170319_006 1.jpg

OP
OP
mav1ms

mav1ms

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
More info on that overflow please... Never seen it before...
You can check it out here:

I have the overflow and the anti-siphon return from Custom Aquariums. Using the gate control valve shown in the last picture and a slight modification where I installed a T-connection (pic below), I can alter the air intake and the flow allowing for almost silent operation. I had to drill my tank for both the return and the overflow itself. I purchased the templates and the bits, it was little nerve-racking at first but I had no issues. (watch videos on how to do it)
20180211_175337.jpg

OP
OP
mav1ms

mav1ms

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank with the lights and a few fish, this is about 2 months after filling the tank and going through the cycle. The PT was a rescue who spent about 4 months in quarantine healing up from HLLE from a national chain fish store.
20170509_160018.jpg

OP
OP
mav1ms

mav1ms

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thought I would post my current fish livestock list:

Purple Tang
Yellow Tang
Powder Brown Tang
Hippo Blue Tang
Flame Angel
Coral Beauty Angel
Green Chromis
Azure Damsel
Blue Damsel
6 Line Wrasse
Dottyback
Niger Triggerfish
Foxface
Maroon Clown hosting in BTA
Green spotted mandarin

Last edited:
OP
OP
mav1ms

mav1ms

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tang tank! That’s pretty cool, you don’t have any aggression issues?
No, thankfully I attribute it to the fact that there is plenty of room and that for the most part introduced at the same time. I am not going to push it though :) Think I am done for now on fish, I might add a blenny at some point.

OP
OP
mav1ms

mav1ms

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was wondering about aggression in there to. A lot of not so nice fish
Just to further, all of them get a long well. Every so often I might see the Flame Angel chase off the Coral Beauty but for the most part they stay at opposite ends of the tank and only come together when I feed, but very rare. I am careful to feed at both ends as well. They have all been in there for at least 4 months or so without issue.

caver

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How is the sound on the h2o overflow been thinking of getting for same reason

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 38 32.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 18.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%

Back