not alot of flesh on new torch, splitting or not doing good?

joeg123

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
photo taken while lights are out so its closed up and sucked in, I've had it for 4 days now and everyday it's extending a little more and a little more but not fully, it doesn't seem as happy as my other torches and defo doesn't have as much flesh, I'm new to the hobby so just wondering if it could have anything to do with splitting? will post a pic later once lights are on of what it looks like
thumbnail_original-C039CC66-3801-4A8B-AE50-48B5F3326595.jpg

what it was like when I got it (4 days ago)

thumbnail_processed-10572A81-51C1-454C-B594-4025D7CB122B-411421AA-C8E9-4CF4-8653-BBFB80070562.jpg

Stealthreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it looks like it's been getting too much flow for a while.
It could be splitting but either way it needs to get a break from too much flow.

OP
OP
J

joeg123

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it looks like it's been getting too much flow for a while.
It could be splitting but either way it needs to get a break from too much flow.
I've struggled with getting the flow right to keep everything happy while also making detritus etc float into the overflow, its a 20 gallon waterbox and I've got a nero 5

lights have just come on, I've turned down the flow and moved the wavemaker, too much flow still?

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Flow looks okay.

Looks like it is just about done splitting.
Also, you are correct, flesh is missing. This is not your fault as you have only had it for 4 days. It is really receded. Give it the best water quality you can, best best flow and lighting you can. Do you know you par number?

OP
OP
J

joeg123

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Flow looks okay.

Looks like it is just about done splitting.
Also, you are correct, flesh is missing. This is not your fault as you have only had it for 4 days. It is really receded. Give it the best water quality you can, best best flow and lighting you can. Do you know you par number?

My other torches look like they are loving life so hopefully I’m doing something right. Mag is at 1500, phosphate is 0.04

You say best best flow, what do you recommend?

I do have a par meter, I tested it before with the torches a little higher up and it was 150-130

What par would you recommend?

OP
OP
J

joeg123

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lights have been on for about a hour its looking the best it's been, I did give it a dip in seachem reef dip yesterday just incase

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My other torches look like they are loving life so hopefully I’m doing something right. Mag is at 1500, phosphate is 0.04

You say best best flow, what do you recommend?

I do have a par meter, I tested it before with the torches a little higher up and it was 150-130

What par would you recommend?
Your flow looks good as I said earlier, just keep it up like that.
That par is a good number, it could probably go up some but that's at your discretion. I'm sure you'll keep an eye on the frag and I bet it's going to only improve from here.

OP
OP
J

joeg123

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well its defo out ehe most its been since I got it, maybe it was the flow, or yesterdays idone dip, but hopefully on the road to recovery

does anyone know what this torch could be? it was sold to me as a holy grail but obviously isn't looking like one, could it be bleached? it does have stipes of yellow and the mouth is green, very green

Pillahump

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like your acan frag! My torch is getting considerably more flow but a lot of people have different opinions on this. I think if the coral is happy keep things the same, if not change it. =)

OP
OP
J

joeg123

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like your acan frag! My torch is getting considerably more flow but a lot of people have different opinions on this. I think if the coral is happy keep things the same, if not change it. =)

Thank you! I just got it, it defo looks good under the blues

Yep, it's defo hard to research and find out whats best as the multiple different opinions, I guess trial and error but when you spend £200-300 on a coral you'd rather not use it as a trial :grinning-face-with-sweat:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 78 55.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.4%
Back