Not going to kill 2 flames

Steve1500

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I killed my first fish, a flame Angel. I let the ammonia get to high during TTM (last round of TTM) and of course it died from ammonia poisoning. I was warned but just made some bad and costly mistakes.

So, I bought another flame Angel today and will treat it with copper this time. I understand Copper has its dangers also with flames. My question is “ how many days should I ramp up the copper to a therapeutic level of 2.0. I’m using coppersafe ( i’ve successfully used this particular bottle before and I think it is safe). Should I go 25% a day? I will also provide plenty of oxygen.
I just don’t want to kill another flame angel!

Thanks
Steve

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you will be safe taking the full dosage needed to get to 2.0 and dividing that into 3 days or so. You can dose twice a day if you want, or just once.

OP
OP
S

Steve1500

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Meredith, if I dose twice per day do I split the amount as if I were dosing once per day? Example: If I were to dose once per day at 20% of therapeutic, would I dose twice per day at 10% or can I do 20% twice (to double my dosage per day)? Hope I explained this right.

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you're dosing twice a day, split the dose in half. If you were planning to add 10ml of copper for the day, add 5ml in the morning and 5ml at night. The concept is to allow the fish to adjust slowly to what is, in essence, a poison.

Test regularly! Not every bottle of copper contains the concentration indicated on the label.

~Bruce

OP
OP
S

Steve1500

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! On a related question, how often should I feed during copper treatment? I am concerned about ammonia levels in my QT. It’s cycled but only has a HoB and bare bottom so not extremely confident in ability to keep a check on ammonia. Is feeding every other day ok for the flame?

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Angels are fish that are constantly pecking a bit of food here, a jot there. An every-other-day schedule isn't ideal for them - they'll probably prefer smaller portions at more frequent intervals. I like to feed at least twice a day - but don't feed a ton at each meal.

Something like a lionfish or grouper, which eats big when it eats, is going to be happier on the every-other schedule.

~Bruce

Back