Not Sure what this is

Nasabeau

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, this has been growing out of a hermit shell for a while and was just a white stalk. I have the stalks in several other places, but I noticed this one and have no clue what it could be. super cool looking.
1633885495978.png
1633885518611.png

OP
OP
Nasabeau

Nasabeau

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks almost like mermaid cup macroalgae reaching for the light. Here's a rock covered with it I found while snorkeling yesterday

2021_0115_21133200.jpg
a type of macro algae. Acetabularia sp.
acetabularia.jpg
Are they safe to leave in the tank? I've got a handful of stalks shooting up in about 3 different places, the clowns seem indifferent to them. I need to scrape the tank during my next water change anyway, so removing them wouldn't be an issue, but I honestly think they look cool and kinda want to leave them if Its safe to do so

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Are they safe to leave in the tank? I've got a handful of stalks shooting up in about 3 different places, the clowns seem indifferent to them. I need to scrape the tank during my next water change anyway, so removing them wouldn't be an issue, but I honestly think they look cool and kinda want to leave them if Its safe to do so
Should be, you can easily remove those by hand if they get out of control. Honestly I love the look and never could keep them as other algae seem to starve them out. In my own experience.

OP
OP
Nasabeau

Nasabeau

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should be, you can easily remove those by hand if they get out of control. Honestly I love the look and never could keep them as other algae seem to starve them out. In my own experience.
interesting. mine only started showing up en mass when I had an accident with the tank getting way too hot while I was out of town and causing a massive GHA bloom. I'd had one stalk on a snail's shell and one growing out of the hermit shell, but since that bloom a not insignificant number of stalks showed up in from what I can see 4 places. been battling the GHA ever since but that one just opened up. kind of hope the other stalks do to

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 87.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back