Now selling SCHEGO air pumps

They are not weather proof, you definitely want to keep it in a sheltered area, on a covered porch for example, another option is up in the attic over a soffit vent. You also want to be sure to use a check valve as a siphon will ruin the pump if the pump stops for any reason. Hose does restrict flow, basically the more hose you have the more the volume of air drops, with that said, the WS3 designation means it can pump against 3 meters of water so these are a fairly high pressure pump, 8 psi. I don't have exact numbers, I know at my old house, Schego was no longer available in the US at the time, but I tried many pumps and had to make a 30ft run with the air pump on the porch outside, I tried a modern Corallife Luft pump (the purple one from who knows where, not the old brown one from Germany which was a very good pump except for being loud) the output was cut in half after 30ft. I found an old WISA pump on eBay and that was able to have the same output at 30ft, no drop, and these are pretty comparable in specs as far as pressure WISA just was always even more heavy duty in the housing/materials, everything on a WISA is metal, the housing, the air output nipple, etc, but they were always a $400+ air pump and they havent been available in a very long time as the only real market was old industrial airstone powered skimmers and they were bought out by a US industrial pump supplier and I think they only make vacuum pumps now.
 
Excellent thank you. This answered my question.

I have a Waterbox 190.5 tank and a reef octopus 220s skimmer. The hose run would be about 25 feet. Would one of your pumps work?
 
Excellent thank you. This answered my question.

I have a Waterbox 190.5 tank and a reef octopus 220s skimmer. The hose run would be about 25 feet. Would one of your pumps work?
My hose run is probably 30+ feet and the pump pushes through it no problem.
 
for those interested, I did the math on pressure drop though 30ft of airline tubing for the WS3 pump flow and pressure.

Answer - it’s negligible for these pumps. It’s less than 0.2 psi /14 millibar back pressure. Here is the curve for the SCHEGO WS3 pump. It’s putting out the full 350 L/h rated volume.
IMG_2700.jpeg
 
Last edited:
for those interested, I did the math on pressure drop though 30ft of airline tubing for the WS3 pump flow and pressure.

Answer - it’s negligible for these pumps. It’s less than 0.2 psi /14 millibar back pressure. Here is the curve for the SCHEGO WS3 pump. It’s putting out the full 350 L/h rated volume.
IMG_2700.jpeg
With your set up are you running it with the check valve? My plan is to have about a 50’ run to a airstone inside the filter roller
 
With your set up are you running it with the check valve? My plan is to have about a 50’ run to a airstone inside the filter roller
Yes, check valve is a good idea.
 
Unless the pump is elevated above the end of the hose you definitely want to use a check valve, when the power goes out the diaphragm relaxes and creates suction and will start a siphon and the incoming saltwater can destroy the pump.
 
I was hoping to purchase one of these, but your ebay page says you don't ship to Canada, or at least my address in Canada. Is there any other way to get one of these pumps?
 
Industrial pumps come with a fiberglass reinforced grey housing, hobby grade pumps come in the clear polycarbonate.

As far as Canada, I can look into, I generally avoid Canada as it is a big complexity with duties, high shipping costs, etc, and that also applies if any warranty issues were to occur which can make it impractical. It is generally impossible to ship something to Canada for less than $35 and that is fairly slow shipping. If you are still interested message me and I would need the address and I can get some quotes, it may not be the best time now with the current mail strike as mail is the most practical option with regards to duties and shipping costs.
 
Quick update on using these pumps how @rishma used it. I didn’t get the ph boost I was hoping for but it might be because of my water volume. I have the pump running on 50’ of tubing from the garage up through the attic and down to the tank hooked to an air stone it puts out great so the pump isn’t the issue. I’m now using it to feed my ozone which is hooked up to my skimmer
 
Im interested the market for an air pump to run the following:
Four phytoplankton containers
Salt water mixing tank
Brine shrimp

What do you recommend

Thanks

David
 
How deep are the containers? FWIW, Aquacave stocks all the models now, I am happy to suggest which ones to use.
 
That is not much, one way would be a Schego Optima can probably run 2 pretty well, an M2K3 could do 4. I would probably want a dedicated one for salt mixing to get max air flow.
 
Yes, there are 4 actually, M2K3 115V, M2K3 12V DC, WS3 (which is a high pressure version of M2K3) and WS3 in and out which has an air hose nipple for inlet as well as outlet. For general use in shallow tanks you want the 115V M2K3.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH FLOW PROBLEM IS HARDEST TO SOLVE IN YOUR REEF?

  • Eliminating dead spots

    Votes: 7 23.3%
  • Keeping sand from blowing around

    Votes: 4 13.3%
  • Balancing flow for different coral types

    Votes: 7 23.3%
  • Creating random or turbulent movement

    Votes: 2 6.7%
  • Finding effective pump placement

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Managing noise or vibration

    Votes: 2 6.7%
  • Keeping pumps hidden and accessible

    Votes: 2 6.7%
  • I still feel like I’m mostly guessing

    Votes: 6 20.0%
  • Other (Comment in the thread)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new