NSA- Negative Space Aquascape

drukkosz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally had some time to work on the aquascape After watching Nathan I decided to give it a try. I have to admit it was really enjoyable. I used my live rock that I broke into pieces and used the glue and sand method.

If you planning on doing that make sure you have a plenty of glue. I think I am on 6 bottle right now, also I like the glue masters medium glue better then thin, I would recommended to get both, some spots are hard to get so the thin glue works good there but mostly I used the medium because it doesn't drip everywhere. make sure you wear good gloves this glue will burn your skin - know from experience.

I was able to keep the rock alive by keeping it in 100g tub that is my sump at the moment.

Oh the black background was provided to you by a Pizza Box!

Aron574

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Looks great! I just did the same thing but with dry rock. More impressive the fact you did it with live rock. Now you need to make sure it fits! (mine was a little close to the glass so I will have to alter it)

OP
OP
drukkosz

drukkosz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks great! I just did the same thing but with dry rock. More impressive the fact you did it with live rock. Now you need to make sure it fits! (mine was a little close to the glass so I will have to alter it)

It fits :) the cardboard box that all the rock are sitting on are actually the size of the aquarium. 150g 60x24x21. Check out my build thread.

markguida47

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thoughts?

20200927_211601.jpg 20200927_211623.jpg

OP
OP
drukkosz

drukkosz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I made total of 3 pieces and then in the tank you can added the arches. Its still pretty heavy, I recommend using a back brace (I have bad back) and some kind of step stand. also make sure you start with a good base. I used BRS foundation rock expensive but in my opinion its worth it.

jpnegrete14

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I made total of 3 pieces and then in the tank you can added the arches. Its still pretty heavy, I recommend using a back brace (I have bad back) and some kind of step stand. also make sure you start with a good base. I used BRS foundation rock expensive but in my opinion its worth it.
Awesome. Thanks for the advice

OP
OP
drukkosz

drukkosz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome. Thanks for the advice
not a problem, other thing if you going to use same method make sure you have plenty of glue available, I think I used 6 bottles so far.....

Glue master makes an awesome glue, super strong, I used thin and medium version. Thin you can use in hard to reach places and medium in the open areas.

OP
OP
drukkosz

drukkosz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long did rock stay out of water before you got it submirged again?

few hours. I was not concerned about it... I rinsed the rock after gluing and then put it back in the 100g tub. It will make your skimmer go crazy for a day but didnt notice any negative reaction.

SteveG_inDC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love your scape! I am also about to do a scape like this with live rock. Would love to know more about the process. How long did it take you? Did you do in batches? Did you break up a lot of rock to start, and if so, what tools and techniques? How did you plan the project? Did you use just glue, or come back with mortar? Sorry, I have so many questions, but it looks like you were successful so I'd like to follow in your footsteps. I have had 200+ lbs of rock of all different sizes, some really huge pieces down to rubble, sitting in a dark bin of moving saltwater for the past 9 months. Some pieces look hard to work with, really rectangular blocky table pieces. Others look more porous.

Neuratox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fantastic I love NSAs now! I just finished cycling mine and added fish to it this week. I really like how yours turned out and I'm excited to see it once you get it into the tank. What size tank is this going into by the way.

And I'll second the burn! WOW! especially if you get the accelerator on your hands with the glue! I made the mistake of wearing mechanics gloves as I was putting this together.... apparently CA and cotton DO NOT MIX!!! started burning through the glove. It took a second to register, but once my brain figured out what was happening I was furiously ripping the glove off - had a nice little burn from it.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 135 88.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.9%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.0%
Back