Nubie...Newbie danger

StPatrick89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think this is a good time to express my experience/what’s on my mind about this Saltwater hobby only being a month and some change in.

This is a fun/interesting hobby. Going to fish stores to see what fish is available or has come in is thrilling. As with anything there are highs and lows. Having a successful tank with no issues makes you feel like you have a badge of honor lol. Having a tank filled with a disease or even having fish die makes you want to give up.

The interesting thing I’ve come to find is that there’s so much information available. In that there’s a lot of trial and error, and money lost. There’s so many of the same products with different labels. I.e.( Cupramine, Copper Aid, Copper Power, etc) This goes for not only copper but other products that “treat, or kill” whatever disease you’re trying to get rid of or prevent; raise water temps or not to, utilize hyposalinity or not, go fallow or not, QT or not....

So what do you do? How do you maneuver, how do you stop from buying just another product with a label, what actually works?

Random, but just thoughts that were on my mind. ‍♂️

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I think this is a good time to express my experience/what’s on my mind about this Saltwater hobby only being a month and some change in.

This is a fun/interesting hobby. Going to fish stores to see what fish is available or has come in is thrilling. As with anything there are highs and lows. Having a successful tank with no issues makes you feel like you have a badge of honor lol. Having a tank filled with a disease or even having fish die makes you want to give up.

The interesting thing I’ve come to find is that there’s so much information available. In that there’s a lot of trial and error, and money lost. There’s so many of the same products with different labels. I.e.( Cupramine, Copper Aid, Copper Power, etc) This goes for not only copper but other products that “treat, or kill” whatever disease you’re trying to get rid of or prevent; raise water temps or not to, utilize hyposalinity or not, go fallow or not, QT or not....

So what do you do? How do you maneuver, how do you stop from buying just another product with a label, what actually works?

Random, but just thoughts that were on my mind. ‍♂️
You are correct! Whether on here, or a good LFS, etc etc - find people that you can trust. And then stick to a plan. Its easy to hop from one thing to another to another. Especially when you post a question - and get 10 contradictory responses. Try not to fall into the trap of changing too many things too quickly. Hope this helps

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 159 57.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back