Nuked Tank

RDUB58

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got great answers the first time. I did something (I think) wrong to my tank and literally wiped out several corals virtually overnight.
Causes...
A) Filter Socks that were washed with bleach and detergent, although rinsed twice. Could be the problem.
B) Stirred up over 50% of my DSB working in some larger/newer substrate.
C) Unknown????

Is it possible I'm way under on something like calcium or alkalinity? I've done so many water changes and nothing is showing signs of bouncing back. I'm at a total loss and figure maybe I should test. I use Instant Ocean by the way at about 1.025. Is there a good test kit anyone would recommend that would detect possibly some things I'm missing? I have the old school "ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, ph" test kit.

Thanks as always!!!

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
please post parameters....

bleach would have most definately caused issues if you used a pure chlorine mix and did not use a dechlorinator or let sit ATLEAST overnight. I cant even put tap rinsed socks back into the sump without letting them sit overnight as the chlorine in my tap water is noticeable by whiff.

stirring up a DSB could absolutely have done it too.

if in doubt. get an ATI ICP test.

OP
OP
RDUB58

RDUB58

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
please post parameters....

bleach would have most definately caused issues if you used a pure chlorine mix and did not use a dechlorinator or let sit ATLEAST overnight. I cant even put tap rinsed socks back into the sump without letting them sit overnight as the chlorine in my tap water is noticeable by whiff.

stirring up a DSB could absolutely have done it too.

if in doubt. get an ATI ICP test.
Ok, never heard of the ICP test. Looking it up now.

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ATI is the one to get. it tests for pretty much everything. except for i think PH? TRITON doesnt include salinity and alk so skip on that one.
also tests your RODI and cheaper.

bobssecrtsn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can also test for salinity the correct way by a excel spreadsheet sheet that triton has. They’re many reasons why triton doesn’t test for dkh. Simply because the value changes. Ati is garbage imo

Thespammailaccount

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Washing filter socks: (1) set the washing machine on the rinse cycle and run about three rinse cycles to remove detergent from the washing machine. (2) place the socks in the washing machine with a cup of bleach (the regular bleach or just the cheep bleach like the gallon jug nothing that has additives scents etc) and no detergent do not use detergent and wash with hot water (3) run three rinse cycles to rinse out the bleach (4) place the socks in the dryer on low heat for 30 mins or let air dry

Last edited:
OP
OP
RDUB58

RDUB58

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Washing filter socks: (1) set the washing machine on the rinse cycle and run about three rinse cycles to remove detergent from the washing machine. (2) place the socks in the washing machine with a cup of bleach (the regular bleach or just the cheep bleach like the gallon jug nothing that has additives scents etc) and no detergent do not use detergent and wash with hot water (3) run three rinse cycles to rinse out the bleach (4) place the socks in the dryer on low heat for 30 mins or let air dry
Yeah I did that way wrong. Through them in the wash. Detergent and bleach. Potentially more than I needed of each. Did one extra rinse and then never really air dried. Yikes.

Thespammailaccount

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I did that way wrong. Through them in the wash. Detergent and bleach. Potentially more than I needed of each. Did one extra rinse and then never really air dried. Yikes.
No worries this hobby is so extensive it is impossible to know what to do in every situation I have made some whoops myself

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if you want to clean your sand so that it can never do that again, we can. and your tank will skip cycle, bc we will not be stirring it up around the animals.

leaving the waste in the bed has no benefit. the benefit of cleaning it is no more risk of cloud issues

Miller535

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My guess is it was stirring the sand.

I have for probably 10 years washed filter socks in my washing machine, I never rinse it before hand, or do any extra rinse cycles. But I also do not use bleach. Wash socks once turned inside out on the hottest cycle, then wash again right side out on the hottest cycle. Let air dry over night. Then use. No need to overcomplicate it.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Test all the base parameters before worrying about an ICP test, imo. It sounds like you dont really test very often. If all levels look good are are stable over time, then look into an ICP or more aggressive intervention methods.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
edit: my post here was for a different cycle thread :) too many to count at once.

Last edited:
OP
OP
RDUB58

RDUB58

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Test all the base parameters before worrying about an ICP test, imo. It sounds like you dont really test very often. If all levels look good are are stable over time, then look into an ICP or more aggressive intervention methods.

New tests
dkh 13
Calcium 400

OP
OP
RDUB58

RDUB58

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last night PH was 7.7. Last time I checked Ammonia and Nitrates were zero.

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last night PH was 7.7. Last time I checked Ammonia and Nitrates were zero.

Seeing as things are dying.
I’d test religiously to see if I could find a cause to the issue .

I’m leaning towards stirring up the sand bed .
I wash my filter cloths with detergent and bleach and never had any issues .

Wash just like a normal load of laundry ,
Air dry , but I rinse them in RODI water prior to adding them to my sump .

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 40.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 20.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.7%
Back