Nutrient export methods, especially mangroves

NHgoalstop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally like algae scrubbers. Just make sure it's an enclosed system. I DIY'd a waterfall style one real quick one day and noticed my evaporation skyrocketed. So the next one I do will be an enclosed system to stop that.

OP
OP
K

KleineVampir

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My evaporation is already pretty stupid because my sump has no lid or anything. Also I have filter pads sticking up out of the water and that probably doesn't help!

NHgoalstop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My evaporation is already pretty stupid because my sump has no lid or anything. Also I have filter pads sticking up out of the water and that probably doesn't help!
My sump has no lid either and evaporation was probably doubled. There was also tons of salt spray that coated my led lights. So for now I'm running chaeto until I get some acrylic and make a new one that is also blacked out so I'm not pouring light into the sump constantly.

Goodair

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That was what I gathered from looking at people attempting mass mangrove export. Seen vids/threads of them being started, looks pretty but either no follow up or anything useful. Chances are it wasn't as successful as they hoped. If you want a display refugium, they are great if you mix other macros, between the stocks/roots.
In nature you find ecosystems between thier roots; macros, sponges, critters.

Properly built/sized algae scrubbers would prob be the most efficient export since that is what they are literally intended to do. Grow algae.

Can you post a pic or your sump?

OP
OP
K

KleineVampir

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That was what I gathered from looking at people attempting mass mangrove export. Seen vids/threads of them being started, looks pretty but either no follow up or anything useful. Chances are it wasn't as successful as they hoped. If you want a display refugium, they are great if you mix other macros, between the stocks/roots.
In nature you find ecosystems between thier roots; macros, sponges, critters.

Properly built/sized algae scrubbers would prob be the most efficient export since that is what they are literally intended to do. Grow algae.

Can you post a pic or your sump?
My sump is not pretty! Are you sure you wanna see that? xD

It's just a couple big filter pad things, a skimmer in between them...the ato in front, the return pumps in the back.

Yeah it seems like algae makes more use out of the nitrates and phosphates in your system. It isn't sitting there pulling carbon out of the air, although it might be nice as a sort of houseplant. Lol.

Bryce M.

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Triton?
I'm moving to that method of macro which is
If it competes nuisance algae put it in there, pretty much fill your sump with different kinds

Goodair

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine isn't pretty either lol! It does it's job and is hidden behind the cabinet doors so doesnt really matter. I just wanna see a pic to see the layout.

OP
OP
K

KleineVampir

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really? Build your own then.
Well yeah, we're talking 300-600 dollars for 2 lights, a piece of knitting canvas, and some pipes. But yeah that's about where we're at right now. And yeah at these prices I probably should just build my own. But better yet, a business could actually figure out a way to mass-produce these things and get the cost down.

Dbichler

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20191205_164058_HDR.jpg

I used a maxijet 1200 old one I had one elbow 2 straight pieces and an end cap cut a slit just bigger than the screen and 4 releasing zip ties good to go. If you need a pump max $80. Led grow par 38 bulb from HD.

OP
OP
K

KleineVampir

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It might not evaporate as much if it actually dipped into the water. Or I wonder if you couldn't build some kind of box around it. Or try to close up the back of your stand somehow, though I have no idea how you'd do that. Do you find pretty good results with that? Even though it's just 1 side and a 5 buck florescent bulb?

Scrubber_steve

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20191205_164058_HDR.jpg

I used a maxijet 1200 old one I had one elbow 2 straight pieces and an end cap cut a slit just bigger than the screen and 4 releasing zip ties good to go. If you need a pump max $80. Led grow par 38 bulb from HD.
Hi, how long has your scrubber been up and running?

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree scrubbers are over priced, I recommend making your own. Fwiw I have about 25 mangroves in my refugium. They are pretty but they only take up a small amount of your tanks nutrients and also eat up some of your magnesium (I believe they use it to turn saltwater into freshwater to hydrate themselves)

Dbichler

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had it set up 9 months that picture was the first scrub though. It works great for algae control. If I increased flow and put another light on the other side it would do more for nitrates as well. For the 30 bucks it cost me to make well worth it. I'm cheap and would never spend hundreds on one.

Goodair

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Post a pic of your layout!! You are probally fine running some vibrant and trying chaeto again. Not sure if the vibrant will eat the chaeto, but its simetbing worth looking into.

OP
OP
K

KleineVampir

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Post a pic of your layout!! You are probally fine running some vibrant and trying chaeto again. Not sure if the vibrant will eat the chaeto, but its simetbing worth looking into.
Ha ok. I'll get a picture of the sump for you guys. It's kinda makeshift and unusual but not terribly so.

I'm getting some nopox in today so we'll see how that goes. I'm wondering if a little bit of that won't go a long way.

OP
OP
K

KleineVampir

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's the pics from 5 minutes ago, and I even took a picture of my GHA wonderland for you guys too. And yes, since I lost my chaeto I just have some knitting mesh in there as an impromptu scrubber. That's what that light is over.

Skipbacon

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had hair algae all over my tank and it was all extremely long. I took the rocks out twice and scrubbed them in a Rubbermaid tote. That helped knock the GHA back quite a bit, and my snails and yellow tang began eating it. I then added a reactor with Phosphate Minus and the remaining GHA turned white overnight and I siphoned it off the rocks easily. I haven’t seen GHA since and I don’t use the Phos Minus anymore. The rock scrubbing idea I have to credit to another R2R member- Brandon perhaps. The scrubbing and siphoning helps.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 12 20.0%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 46 76.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.3%
Back