Nutrient Spike!

GHOSTLY

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I accidentally overfed yesterday and now today I have a Huge brown hair algae and turf algae tank. Im already getting my water ready but how can I combat this algae and high nutrients (phos and nitrate)

Dcal

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nopox if you have it at LFS, manual removal will be needed. to save yourself saltwater while dosing nopox use your water change tube and have it siphon water into a filter sock in a bucket or your sump so you can save all the water and take out all the growth. this wont help w nutrients so if you arent any other nitrate/phosphate removal things this wont really help as itll just grow back

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Exactly how high are your nitrates and phosphates, and what were they before adding too much food? How much did you over feed the tank by? Are we talking added in a little bit too much, or accidentally dropped a whole bottle of food in and left it?

OP
OP
GHOSTLY

GHOSTLY

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Exactly how high are your nitrates and phosphates, and what were they before adding too much food? How much did you over feed the tank by? Are we talking added in a little bit too much, or accidentally dropped a whole bottle of food in and left it?
Nitrate and phosphate WAS at 5 and 0.004 or something near that. Now Idk as I cant test. When I say accident I mean instead of adding 2 drops of Tigger feast i added 5 or 6 on top of feeding my fish

LuizW13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with elorablue, that wasn't much of an overfeed, unless you have some crazy super micro pico tank lol. It was probably a coincidence that the algae is showing up.

Don't panic or overreact, get a Nitrate and Phosphate test and then change your water if you need to.

OP
OP
GHOSTLY

GHOSTLY

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
nitrate is now at 10 and store tested 0.006 I think. Im not panicking but rather I would like my tank stable as I'm picking up my sps next week from a growout tank

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
nitrate is now at 10 and store tested 0.006 I think. Im not panicking but rather I would like my tank stable as I'm picking up my sps next week from a growout tank
The emergency tag on this title disagrees.

The overfeed scenario did not cause this algae. 5 to 10 move in nitrates is not crazy. Do a water change, be happy.

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I accidentally overfed yesterday and now today I have a Huge brown hair algae and turf algae tank. Im already getting my water ready but how can I combat this algae and high nutrients (phos and nitrate)

Im new to saltwater at 7- 8 months in but think that algae was already brewing as overfeeding one day then " A HUGE BROWN HAIR ALGAE AND TURF ALGAE TANK " then the very next day your tank over took by algae ? From adding just over double- treble of the tiger feast drops ?
Im no scientist/ marine biologist but would of thought took longer than one day for food to break down and feed algae then algae grow to epic proportions like impression im getting off your tank in my head from emergency tag and your description.
Maybe picture of tank will help others advise you if you may ?

OP
OP
GHOSTLY

GHOSTLY

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok! I blew a lot of it off but it was the very next day after an accidental overfeed. pics soon
Im new to saltwater at 7- 8 months in but think that algae was already brewing as overfeeding one day then " A HUGE BROWN HAIR ALGAE AND TURF ALGAE TANK " then the very next day your tank over took by algae ? From adding just over double- treble of the tiger feast drops ?
Im no scientist/ marine biologist but would of thought took longer than one day for food to break down and feed algae then algae grow to epic proportions like impression im getting off your tank in my head from emergency tag and your description.
Maybe picture of tank will help others advise you if you may ?

OP
OP
GHOSTLY

GHOSTLY

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
13.5 evo. Fuge in the back with 12 to 13 hours of light couple times a week, Purigen and phosguard reactor, 10 pds live rock, 1 to 2 inch sandbed, 4 fish with one going away, and 10 hour light cycle

CanuckReefer

Simple...Salt, Water, LR, Lighting and Flow.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
13.5 evo. Fuge in the back with 12 to 13 hours of light couple times a week, Purigen and phosguard reactor, 10 pds live rock, 1 to 2 inch sandbed, 4 fish with one going away, and 10 hour light cycle
We need those pics, before and after. Agree as well with @Pistondog and @Lost in the Sauce on Nitrates and Phos ....in one day something else was festering if its that bad.

OP
OP
GHOSTLY

GHOSTLY

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, I got rid of most of it but there is still quite a bit. Hard to see but there is a greenish brown bubbly algae on the rocks and zoas. On the sand there is the same treen algae on the glass

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    154.9 KB · Views: 31
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    164.3 KB · Views: 25
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    246.3 KB · Views: 21
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    153.3 KB · Views: 30

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 60 39.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 22.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 51 33.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.0%
Back