nutrition for tangs question

lucyretz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

last night my fiance and i welcomed a hawaiian long nose black tang to our reef. we want to make sure that we are meeting all the nutritional requirements he needs! we also have a gem tang (he is much smaller, there has been no aggression at all and everyone is happy).

currently i am feeding:
nori soaked in selcon
LRS reef frenzy

Can anyone recommend anything else? We want our tangs to be with us for a long time for our kids to see one day:)

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

last night my fiance and i welcomed a hawaiian long nose black tang to our reef. we want to make sure that we are meeting all the nutritional requirements he needs! we also have a gem tang (he is much smaller, there has been no aggression at all and everyone is happy).

currently i am feeding:
nori soaked in selcon
LRS reef frenzy

Can anyone recommend anything else? We want our tangs to be with us for a long time for our kids to see one day:)
Nori is good, if you can source some gracilliria, that would work also.

As for LRS, I would suggest Herbivore Frenzy, as it has meaty foods, but also some macro here and there in it to give them a little diversity.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try dried seaweed (not roasted nori). This might add some variety. You can also grow your own macroalgae to feed them via a refugium. I like seaweed extreme pellets for my tang as well as ocean nutrition prime flakes

EugeneVan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My power blue, brown, hippo and kole tangs go nut and eat like a pig with frozon spirulina mysis.

LosReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I prefer seaweed extreme pellets. I soak for a couple minutes and then put in front of a powerhead. My Black tang was much more skiddish than my other tangs. Everyone gets a chance and it keeps them busy and active for a while. Nori on a clip causes too much aggression and sheets get stuck in pumps.

Attachments

• 20220815_170018.jpg
    20220815_170018.jpg
    245 KB · Views: 40

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I forgot to mention that I like to soak dry food like the seaweed extreme in vitachem too. It works so much better than on frozen food

Johnz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pellets can provide all the nutrition a herbivore needs. I use Spectrum Algae Max. I never feed nori, not worth the hassle. They get mysis, brine, calanus too when I feed the other fish in the tank, but I just consider those snacks. Pellets are the way to go.

LilsReefTank

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

currently i am feeding:
nori soaked in selcon
LRS reef frenzy

congrats on the new behbeh!! Sounds like a beauty ~ ~

Maybe add mysis/brine shrimp. I keep hearing about the spirulina mysis being really good (but I personally haven't tried that version yet as I can't find a local seller)

Dbichler

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
B836FF5B-854A-43DC-95CC-F5BC359B0893.jpeg

This is everything I feed all my fish red and green algae sheets nls algae max pellets spirulina 20 flakes and homemade seafood mix just grab 5 or 6 different seafoods from local market blend it then freeze it break it into chunks grab a solo cup fill a little with tank water add spirulina powder or blend that with the seafood sometimes I do both then let it thaw in cup use a fork to break it up and then slowly poor into tank all of this feeds my fish for at least 6 months under $100 for my 210 with 15 fish 3 tangs emperor angel foxface huma trigger. Those are just my big fish but all of the fish go crazy for it.

Saltyanimals

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
++ on a variety of pellets including the seaweed extreme all mixed up with NLS in the auto feeder. I used to do nori on a clip every so often, but got too messy. I also noticed the damage the fish would inflect on each other because of accidental nipping as they all attack the clip at the same time. It appears the pellets actually have more nutritious content given how dense they are anyways. I do occasionally add veggie flakes which flies everywhere like nori flakes.

The key here is a variety of mixes. I just choose dry because it fits my (lazy) lifestyle where I can't feed frozen due to work travels.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 73 51.8%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 72 51.1%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 36 25.5%
  • None.

Votes: 31 22.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.4%
Back