Nuvo 20 return pump upgrade

Nick Steele

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay so I’m looking at upgrading my return pump and adding vca random flow nozzles.

Is it possible to run two sicce 1.5 along with a 75w ehime heater and tunze 3155 ato in the return chamber?

Curious if anyone has this setup.

jrill

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't. I run a sicce 1.5 in one of my tanks to power a carbon reactor and an algae scrubber and the hum it makes it really annoying. I also think two of them would be too much flow in a nuvo 20. There pretty powerful little pumps

PR_nano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Nick I run a single Sicce 1.5 with VCA random flow generator and don't even have the pump running fully open. When I tried it water was almost splashing out of the tank. Clip below. Edit (attached clip)

Not sure if two Sicce 1.5 pump would fit in the back chamber with the rest of the equipment. I read of people running two .5 but don't recall reading anything higher. Water would probably spill out of the tank. It remind me of the time I tried the icecap 1k gyre on this tank and water was going over the top.

Attachments

• 20210518_084525.mp4
    37.1 MB
OP
OP
Nick Steele

Nick Steele

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i run 2 sicce 1.5's
Can you share a pic?

Why? Doesn’t make a lot of sense to push high from the
through The AIO compartment. The mighty jets Are silent. Any non DC pump will not be. It’s a much better idea to add a stronger powerhead inside the display from one IM owner to another.
I have two powerheads in the tank itself I’m just looking to run the vca random flow generators and the recommend flow for the 1/2” ones are 300-400 gph for each one. Minimum is 120-150 each.
Hey Nick I run a single Sicce 1.5 with VCA random flow generator and don't even have the pump running fully open. When I tried it water was almost splashing out of the tank. Clip below. Edit (attached clip)

Not sure if two Sicce 1.5 pump would fit in the back chamber with the rest of the equipment. I read of people running two .5 but don't recall reading anything higher. Water would probably spill out of the tank. It remind me of the time I tried the icecap 1k gyre on this tank and water was going over the top.
Interesting! That looks like a decent amount of flow. How random does it look to you?

PR_nano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel they produced random flow and I like them. But to me the IM spin stream generated more randomness. It's the moving parts which made it possible but also a pita since they get gunk and cause them to get stuck. Overall I am happy with the VCA swap.

OP
OP
Nick Steele

Nick Steele

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I ordered an received 2 rfg and a sicce 1.5. I added the rfg and it’s decent randomness but I’m sure will be better when I add the 1.5 also.

On other news sicce just came out with a sdc 3.0 that will fit in the Nuvo20 and can pump 300-800gph! It’s not available until September and cost $199 so I’ll have to suck up to the wife to get it one day haha

atomos

52 32 52 20 52 6f 63 6b 73
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_4161.jpg

atomos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! I’m trying to fit mine inside with the stock mightyjet and it a tight fit.

Where do you have your heater placed?

Here’s what I was able to do. Don’t know if heater touching the two pumps is an issue or not.
E8795A2E-30DD-4D4F-BDA9-315E406999AB.jpeg
Nice, but agreed it is a little tight. I started with a Eheim Thermocontrol e125 but replaced it with a Finnex HMS 150 (it's the thicker rounded electrical cord) and placed it under the left side chamber. There's only a very small portion of the heater that is exposed but surprisingly doesn't mess with the Sicces' placement too much. I did turn down both Sicce's 1.5s to keep it from running like a jacuzzi.

OP
OP
Nick Steele

Nick Steele

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m really like having these rfg!!!

With both pumps on I had to had about 1gal of water so I know have about 17G total in the tank and water level is high and 1/2” from the top of the tank now. I was able to turn off one of my powerheads and the one still in the tank is on the lowest setting on pulse mode.
F25FF1F3-F968-4911-93F4-F9734D13EEAE.jpeg

atomos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m really like having these rfg!!!

With both pumps on I had to had about 1gal of water so I know have about 17G total in the tank and water level is high and 1/2” from the top of the tank now. I was able to turn off one of my powerheads and the one still in the tank is on the lowest setting on pulse mode.
F25FF1F3-F968-4911-93F4-F9734D13EEAE.jpeg
Nice tank! Definitely plenty of water motion to go around. How are you liking the bare bottom? I remember having a bare bottoms eons ago in my other 55G.

Here is a snap of our tank---funny rest of my son's fishes are hiding except for his fav Anthias (I think the clown is by the Favia tho). :)

IMG_4244.jpg

OP
OP
Nick Steele

Nick Steele

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice tank! Definitely plenty of water motion to go around. How are you liking the bare bottom? I remember having a bare bottoms eons ago in my other 55G.

Here is a snap of our tank---funny rest of my son's fishes are hiding except for his fav Anthias (I think the clown is by the Favia tho). :)

IMG_4244.jpg
I actually like the bare bottom if it wasn’t for the mixed reef I really want this tank to be. I have lps and some softies that don’t like the flow cranking and are positioned in spots I would like the powerheads pointing if I went fully sps. I took out the sand during a Dino battle and will be adding it back in soon (two more weeks of interceptor treatment then back in).

If I ever go full sps tank it will be bare bottom for sure! Makes life a lot easier with getting random flow. Also at least for me it was only really ugly for two weeks before snails and hermits cleaned it up

atomos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually like the bare bottom if it wasn’t for the mixed reef I really want this tank to be. I have lps and some softies that don’t like the flow cranking and are positioned in spots I would like the powerheads pointing if I went fully sps. I took out the sand during a Dino battle and will be adding it back in soon (two more weeks of interceptor treatment then back in).

If I ever go full sps tank it will be bare bottom for sure! Makes life a lot easier with getting random flow. Also at least for me it was only really ugly for two weeks before snails and hermits cleaned it up
i hear ya on that one. cool, post up pics after the dino battle is over and the sands in...

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 57 40.1%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 31 21.8%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 34.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.5%
Back