Nuvo 20 which return pump

malalite

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Jan 31, 2011
Messages
4
Reaction score
0
Location
Crestwood
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am getting the Nuvo 20 and read a lot about the noisy return pump that comes standard. I want to start with that as my sole amount of flow for now to keep costs down. Wondering what is the best pump to put in there as a replacement. I read some saying the Sicce 1.5 vibrates because it was too much for the tank and that person ended up getting two 0.5. I know there are people out there who have upgraded. I would love some suggestions of what you did and what you would do today? I made the reference chart below just to help keep it straight.
Model Flow Rate Power Maximum Inlet/Outlet Dimension (Inches)
0.5 185 GPH 8W 0.5" - 0.7" 3.5" x 1.9" x 2.8"
1.0 251 GPH 16W 0.5" - 0.7" 3.5" x 1.9" x 2.8"
1.5 357 GPH 23W 0.6" - 0.8" 4.0" x 2.4" x 3.1"
 
The Nuvo 20 pump should be good. I had mine working fine. Remember do not let the pump touch the in between panel/ back glass or it will be noisy.

As for replacement pump, stock one I remember is around 200 GPH. So 0.5 should be adequate. You can go larger and use less GPH powerhead instead as well.
 
I like a lot of flow so I’d go with the Syncra 1.5. They do have little knobs on it so you can turn the flow down if it’s too much. I have a 2.0 on my 46 pumping about 4 feet up and there’s not as much flow as I would like.
 

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 7 38.9%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 6 33.3%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 4 22.2%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 3 16.7%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 3 16.7%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 4 22.2%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 5 27.8%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 8 44.4%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 5 27.8%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 4 22.2%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 16.7%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new